Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best way to spray in small sections?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to spray in small sections?

I am working on a jeep and after a couple years after being painted it developed little bubbles in the paint along the side below the door, having line x on the other side I wanted to make sure to stop whatever was causing it so repair would be minimal. I sanded it down there was some very slight surface rust in those areas. After talking with a friend who does a lot of body work/paint he said that it could have been the time it spent in primer without paint causing it to draw moisture then the paint sealing and then with time it was trapped and started rusting or possibly from where we had welded in new panel and some contamination. I cleaned it to bare metal, used POR15 metal ready converter and then POR15 paint to seal it up to prevent this from happening again.

My question is what is the best way to re-paint and blend in the new paint, there are not really any seams where I can break it unless I paint the entire side. It is at the bottom area of the rocker panel going up about 3 inches in the highest spot and a standard base clear style paint.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blend in the paint as best you can with 3-5 coats blending a little higher on each coat. As far as clearcoating it, their is no such thing as blending it without leaving you with a halo. clear the whole panel to be safe. POR15 is good ****, you should have good results with it.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, the line x doesn't need any repairs luckily it was just slight surface rust and needed very little sanding actually, just enough to cause a problem. As far as spraying over the other area how should I prep the area that was above the affected portion that is still good paint?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the paint single stage or paint/clear?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought i responded to this on my phone sorry for the delay i guess it didnt post, it is a base clear. From what I understand probably scuff the clear in the unaffected areas and carry the clear up to those portions; let me know what you guys think, i have not worked on sections before just entire thing.