Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

clear coat and paint questions (hood and hatch)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat and paint questions (hood and hatch)

two part question here. my clearcoat is turning white on one spot of the car. on the hatch/spoiler its the part that comes almost up to the passanger side door on my 98 ss. it only does it about 5 or 6 inches back and comes to a point right at the window. so its not big at all but would fixing this have to involve blending down the quarter panel and all that?

and second, the hood is blistering in maybe 5 little dime size places and the paint is chipped of in two places about the size of a 50 cent peice. its the true SS hood so my guess is there may be bondo under it from a repair job before i got the car because it was so expensize to replace. other then then its an absolute immaculate car on the outside. black paint is hard to clean but worth it. so what am i looking at price wise to get this fixed? one or the other or both? what would you guys do?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a shop, get quotes and a good idea. If you are having clear coat failure then its a whole car you will be doing and that will include proper prep to get it "right".
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are it has been repainted at some point. GM didnt have alot of factory paint flaws like ford and chrysler. You can absolutley blend the hatch and will want to. The blistering is interesting. Without seeingit or sanding through hard to say. Probably best to take the whole hood down and re-do the whole thing, seal, prime, b/c might as well do the manta..lol In no way does your whole car need done.

i have been doing paint and body for 10+years. Without seeing it its hard to give price but your probably going to be right at 8-900 for both.

Quick Reply: clear coat and paint questions (hood and hatch)