Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Questions about a new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions about a new paint job

Can I put on my SS emblems right away after a fresh new paint job? What adhesive spray is best to use for the emblems? I have a cousin who is a detailer and he's also certified to put on those clear bras and I'm curious if I can put on one of those clear bras right away or would I have to wait?

I was reading that the clear coat takes 90 days to fully cure so does that mean I can't wash my car for those 90 days?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can wash the car, just be easy and use lots of soap and water and dont push hard. You cant wax it for 90 days because wax forms a coat that prevents the paint from fully releasing the solvents. As far as the emblems, I think you are ok after a couple of days, but I like to wait a few weeks just to be sure. I would treat the clear vinyl just like wax, it is not going to allow the solvents to escape either.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ringmaster72
You can wash the car, just be easy and use lots of soap and water and dont push hard. You cant wax it for 90 days because wax forms a coat that prevents the paint from fully releasing the solvents. As far as the emblems, I think you are ok after a couple of days, but I like to wait a few weeks just to be sure. I would treat the clear vinyl just like wax, it is not going to allow the solvents to escape either.
Ok, thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any input on this? What should I use to re-stick these emblems on?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your best bet for the emblems is going to be double sided tape i wouldnt use any sort of spray adhesive.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

3M double sided tape, you might be able to buy as much as you need off a body shop because it will be such a small amount instead of buying awhole role
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAte
3M double sided tape, you might be able to buy as much as you need off a body shop because it will be such a small amount instead of buying awhole role
I've used the double sided tape before and it's a real PITA to cut it perfect around the S's. That's why I considered using a spray.

Quick Reply: Questions about a new paint job