Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Damaged OEM SS Hood repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damaged OEM SS Hood repair

What would I need(materials) to repair this OEM SS hood? Also, how much would I be looking at money wise if I took it to a shop to have it repaired.

Nothing major, just looking to see if I can do it myself.
on the ss scoop

underside

underside next to hood hinge

underside

underside of ss sccop
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Grind down the cracks to make a valley out of them. Drill small holes on both sides lay resin down then a fiberglass mat on top of that and if you need add lil more resin. Let dry add another layer of if needed and finish off with kitty hair (fiberglass filler). That's what I did and I a hell of alot more damage than what you have and its holding up great
Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh a dremel(and a small dremel drill bit for the holes) with a coarse sanding wheel works great to make the valley and taper it back about an in on both sides for more contact area for the patch its really not hard but just time consuming
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

instead of fiberglass resin, use evercoats SMC vette panel repair and bonding. I have a hood that someone used regular resin on and it all cracked out after less then a year. My hood had extensive damage. A quart is $35 but if you plan on keeping the car, it'll be worth it.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

been a bit over a year for me and NO problems, thats why i drilled holes and used a mat and cleaned and preped the area well, but if the stuff your talking about does have a better adhesion why not use it id still use a mat
Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I repaired an ss spoiler that had damage using epoxy and fiberglass microspheres. I used epoxy from MAS systems, mixed up the epoxy and added fiberglass microspheres until I had a paste of the desired consistency. I then sanded out and drilled small hole where the bond was to be made to prep the surface....you want something rough with pores for the mix to grip. I Added, the epoxy/glass mix and let dry, then sanded down until everything blended in right. The bond is strong as hell and once painted it looked perfect. I will use this method for ANY SMC repair! worked great! PM me if you want any more details.

Quick Reply: Damaged OEM SS Hood repair