Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Touch up paint burnt through new 7 day old paint job...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Touch up paint burnt through new 7 day old paint job...

First of all this didn't happen on my Z but my duramax so rest assured. Although I did pay for a new paint job and paid to get the panel re-sprayed as there was no other solution. The body shop gave me a deal but I still find that it shouldn't of happened... and well I don't think I should of had to pay if I was trying to fill in a small dimple in the paint in the first place but anyways. Basically I used some dupli color touch up paint which I have used countless times to fix little tiny imperfections before. The paint job was about 7 days old and it simply literally burnt right through the clear and the base down to the primer when I went to wipe it off as I thought I put just a tad too much. Now how the heck can this happen! Of course it was my fault and I had to pay although I should of just asked him to fix the problem I just tried to take care of it myself. He tried it himself after and saw it himself! Anyways 200$ to get it fixed didn't seem bad after what I paid but what do you guys think? Is it normal? Oh and by the way he is repainting another spot because his touch up repair didn't turn up the way I liked it on his dime... His paint (the same one used to paint the actual truck) didn't quite burn through the paint but it did go through the clear after we ended up hand buffing the spot with fine cut compound. He didn't admit that but I was there to see it and there is no other explanation... it didn't looked rubbed out but burnt. Thanks for the words of support and wisdom
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I am in no way good with paint but my only thought is maybe when the touch up paint hit the soft clear coat it reacted to it, idk.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Teching In

The only explanation that I can come up with is the touch up paint may have been lacquer based.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Launching!

The touch up paint was dupli color brand. I have a good feeling that it was lacquer based. The paint used for the paint job was "oiled" based... Lacquer? I know nothing about paint but anyways when is it safe enough to assume I can perform a touch up if it needs it?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the lacquer based touch up reacted with fresh polyurethane paint (not lacquer based), you got it right. I once had this happen when I mistakenly touched up a painted panel with some clear nail polish. It was a trick we were using for touch up only that quickly got abandoned when the nail polish ate into the paint job.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Is it safe to use lacquer based touch up when the paint should be fullly cured?