Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Front End swap completed, paint started

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Front End swap completed, paint started

Think its coming out great so far seeing its rattle canned in a garage...Got the paint from automotive touchup...waiting for a couple more cans to come in so my buddy can finish the hood then clear coat....Cant wait to get her back on the road, havent driven the car in mths....this is the only pic he took, ill take more when shes finished up hopefully next week.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Should have finished pics up in the next few days
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job. Are keeping those wheels?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
Nice job. Are keeping those wheels?
For awhile, they don't look to bad all shined up...eventually going to get something chrome
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

so its a basecoat in a rattle can, then clear coat on top? is the clearcoat from a spray gun or rattle can?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FastRidesOnly
so its a basecoat in a rattle can, then clear coat on top? is the clearcoat from a spray gun or rattle can?
Everything's rattle can....primer, base, clearcoat
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

I would get 18" black C5 'DD' if u are going to get new wheels
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense, but it's going to look like crap and it's going to have to be completely stripped down to bare material if/when you decide to do it right down the road. You can get a Harbor Freight gun for $35 and the paint for about $ 100 and do it yourself.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
No offense, but it's going to look like crap and it's going to have to be completely stripped down to bare material if/when you decide to do it right down the road. You can get a Harbor Freight gun for $35 and the paint for about $ 100 and do it yourself.
No offense but paint is more about preperation and procedure and quality than the application method. Properly applied and of decent quality spray paint will last as long as paint of the same quality sprayed with a gun. I run into one of my old fbodies regularly and the parts I spray painted are in better condition after six years of neglect than the professionally sprayed body. If you have to rib on the guy for cutting corners do it because he made the car look like a catfish instead of just buying one.

Besides if he resprays the whole car right and they don't take it all the way down to the base they are still cutting corners and "doin it wrong".

Last edited by Deceptikon; 07-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paint in a can is COMPLETELY different than professional paint. You will NEVER get a good looking paint from a can compared to ANY professional paint, no matter how good the prep or painter is AND last MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.

And the reason it would have to be taken down to the base after being rattle canned is because the difference chemical properties between rattle can and urethane. "Taking it down to the base" isn't necessarily cutting a corner here as long as the adhesion surface is there, regardless of the paint. You don't know what you're talking about.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
I would get 18" black C5 'DD' if u are going to get new wheels
Ive also thought about those...and no offense takin, im happy w/ the way the cars turning out...needed paint and seeing I just bought a house theres a ton of other things I can think of spending 3-5k dollars on right now....
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

the touch up paint might be the same as pro paint.. its just in a rattle can for smaller projects. if it isnt then they need to make it. i hate using just a little bit of paint then having to clean my paint gun or having too much paint left over.

i remember a guy on firebirdv6dotcom touched up a rear quarter panel with rattle can paint and polished it. looks like a pro touch up job.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
Paint in a can is COMPLETELY different than professional paint. You will NEVER get a good looking paint from a can compared to ANY professional paint, no matter how good the prep or painter is AND last MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.

And the reason it would have to be taken down to the base after being rattle canned is because the difference chemical properties between rattle can and urethane. "Taking it down to the base" isn't necessarily cutting a corner here as long as the adhesion surface is there, regardless of the paint. You don't know what you're talking about.
And you exagerate the differences and minor truths. Which is worse?

If you don't think people can lay a good looking coat of paint with good quality spray paint then you're just being an opinionated ***. I've seen spraypaint last as long as factory quality paints on numerous occasions. To say it can't be done is just as assinine as saying you can't build a fast v6.

It just takes more work to do it right than its often worth.

This is the same essential debate as V6 vs V8. The nice HoK paint will always win when applied properly vs even the best 30$ a can pro touch up.... but that doesnt mean you can't do well.

Since you insist this guy can go harbor fright and paint his whole car for 100$ Mr. Know it all.... tell him how much a good set up would really run to paint a car... plastics to seal up a garage for a booth, resperator, compressor with enough volume and gph to run his hvlp, line traps to catch moisture, hoses, hvlp gun, acetone to clean it up... etc.etc.etc. And just for the record I spent five years in a body shop and have painted three cars myself as well as two motorcycles, one of which was painted with the professional touch up spraypaints, seven years later it still looks like a factory paint job.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Teching In

I've prepped, primed, and canned a sportbike as well before and it came out better than factory, simply because I spent the time making sure there were no defects and no orange peel. That was 4 years ago, bike still looks great according to the owner. Besides, no paint job lasts forever, but I'll bet the paint job on the bike lasts well enough.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
And you exagerate the differences and minor truths. Which is worse?

If you don't think people can lay a good looking coat of paint with good quality spray paint then you're just being an opinionated ***. I've seen spraypaint last as long as factory quality paints on numerous occasions. To say it can't be done is just as assinine as saying you can't build a fast v6.

It just takes more work to do it right than its often worth.

This is the same essential debate as V6 vs V8. The nice HoK paint will always win when applied properly vs even the best 30$ a can pro touch up.... but that doesnt mean you can't do well.

Since you insist this guy can go harbor fright and paint his whole car for 100$ Mr. Know it all.... tell him how much a good set up would really run to paint a car... plastics to seal up a garage for a booth, resperator, compressor with enough volume and gph to run his hvlp, line traps to catch moisture, hoses, hvlp gun, acetone to clean it up... etc.etc.etc. And just for the record I spent five years in a body shop and have painted three cars myself as well as two motorcycles, one of which was painted with the professional touch up spraypaints, seven years later it still looks like a factory paint job.
Wow, where to begin?

Fisrt, never said it couldn't look good. I said it won't compared to PRO PAINT. Anybody can wet sand and cut/buff spray paint. But it still won't even come close to ANY urethane of the same application/finishing. Saying something "looks good" is in the eye of the beholder. Think of all the ugly people you know. Someone has dated/married/had sex with them at some point. Why? Because the majority of their opinion is that she is attractive. You have no argument here.

Second, it WON'T last as long. The few instances you mention of a rattle can job lasting as long as a factory paint job are either figments of your imagination for the sake of argument, or it was due to neglect. A factory paint job that sits unprotected in the sun for 20 years will look like ****. A spray painted object that sits in a garage for 20 years will look close to the way it did when it was sprayed. There is no real comparison. Again, you have no argument here.

Third,

HF gun: $35
Pint of ONMI: $25
Cheap reducer: $10
Quart of Advantage clear w/ activator: $45
Moisture traps on the gun: $5
Thinner: $5
TOTAL: $125

Of course these aren't prices to paint the whole car. Just the front.

Don't need a garage, booth, or respirator. And I assume he has access to a small compressor that will at LEAST work well enough to spray panel by panel.

GPH? Really? You worked in a shop? Painted 3 cars? 2 bikes? Didn't learn much. No argument here either.

A quality paint job at a shop would run anywhere from $3k - $10k for the ENTIRE car, which is irrelevant here. He isn't a shop, isn't using parts/materials equivalent to a legit shop, and isn't paying to have this work done.

Mr. Know-it-all? No.
Do I know what I'm talking about? Yes.
Do YOU? Maybe to a slight extent, but the short answer is NO.

I'm done. Take it for what you want, but in the end your arrogance and ignorance isn't doing anybody any good. Open your mind, and be less quick to be the pompous asshat you've displayed to be thus far. There is real knowledge to be obtained here.

OP,
You could easily get a MUCH better result by not spending that much more money at all and set yourself up for better results in the future. It would be WELL worth it, imo. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions should you decide to go this route. I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Either way, good luck and I look forward to seeing the results!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
For awhile, they don't look to bad all shined up...eventually going to get something chrome
I'm trying to find the link and site but a guy has the same rims as you c4 waggon wheels right? anyways he masked off the spokes and made them look like c5 rims lol true story and they look good.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
I'm trying to find the link and site but a guy has the same rims as you c4 waggon wheels right? anyways he masked off the spokes and made them look like c5 rims lol true story and they look good.
There 97-99 C5 Wheels, I painted them all black....
Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

LOL @ all this spray paint talk. it looks damn good!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Vince
LOL @ all this spray paint talk. it looks damn good!!!