Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Windshield installer scratched up paint...bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windshield installer scratched up paint...bad

Ok, my girlfriend's windshield developed a crack recently so I took it to get a windshield replaced at a place that had good reviews.

When they brought it out of the bay after work was completed I noticed black "tar" all over the car sides.

When I complained about this a guy came out and started wiping the paint. I repeatedly told him I would get it cleaned but he said no if it was not removed immediately it would not come off. So he proceeded rather forcefully to rub off the stuff from the paint. He mostly smeared it commenting on how it was multiplying as if it was funny.

His excuse was it was dark in the shop and someone must have had the stuff on their clothes.

When I went to wash her car I noticed that some of the tar was still there and lots of new scratches where he rubbed the paint. My girl is pissed and so am I.

What should we do?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its urethane, it'll peel off once it dries. If its butyl (stays 'wet' and rubbery) just ball it up like a booger and dab the rest of it with the booger and it will come up

The cleaning cloths he probably uses are highly abrasive and will scratch paint, especially if you scrub one area for a while

Regardless, it was clearly a sloppy installation - contact the shop owner and/or manager and explain the situation... Im sure if you approach the in a civil manner, they'll take care of it
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have the shop fix it... but depending on how bad its scratched you might just able to correct it
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I'd take it to a top quality detail shop, they can remove the remainder of the glue and polish tthe scratched up clear. Take pics before or show it to the glass co. manager first, then bring them the bill.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if your windshield was done though your insurance agency, then call them up and report it. they will call the company and have them fix it, if painting is required to fix it, then they are responsible. i had my windshield replaced on my jeep that sat on 35" tires and a 7" lift. they guy was using my door as basically a ladder to pull himself up (even though i warned him not to) and he ripped it right off the hinge! i call my insurance and then had them pick it up, weld the door back on, and repaint the entire door, i also got my deductible back and they paid for everything. then i brought it back to the insurance company and they inspected it and approved it. didn't even count as a claim as the insurance company paid nothing.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
if your windshield was done though your insurance agency, then call them up and report it. they will call the company and have them fix it, if painting is required to fix it, then they are responsible. i had my windshield replaced on my jeep that sat on 35" tires and a 7" lift. they guy was using my door as basically a ladder to pull himself up (even though i warned him not to) and he ripped it right off the hinge! i call my insurance and then had them pick it up, weld the door back on, and repaint the entire door, i also got my deductible back and they paid for everything. then i brought it back to the insurance company and they inspected it and approved it. didn't even count as a claim as the insurance company paid nothing.
this works but I've found its better to contact the shop first and give them a chance to fix their mistake... if they deny it or try to give the run-a-round, go to their source income (the ins co)

Quick Reply: Windshield installer scratched up paint...bad