Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who had their car painted a different color by a shop? Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Who had their car painted a different color by a shop? Cost?

I'm interested to see who changed the color of their 4th gen and how much it cost to have a shop do all most of the work? Obviously this involves painting in the door jambs, under hood, trunk, etc. Please only respond with:

Make, and model
Original color
New color
Cost
How it turned out and how it is holding up.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop I work at would charge 6-8 grand for a color change even more for something custom like a two tone,flames ect. It's not cheap, you may get lucky and get it done for 3-5,or if you can find someone good that does side work. Just make sure you get a good shop or person to do it.if you do all the body and prep work it can save you a lot.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had mine done. I was quoted a SAME color replacement for $2500 on a whole car, but when I asked on here I was told a stock quality paint job, even same color, should run $4-6k. So.. I'd assume a color change, which would mean cutting in the engine bay, door jambs etc. would be a good bit more than that.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
The shop I work at would charge 6-8 grand for a color change even more for something custom like a two tone,flames ect. It's not cheap, you may get lucky and get it done for 3-5,or if you can find someone good that does side work. Just make sure you get a good shop or person to do it.if you do all the body and prep work it can save you a lot.

This sounds about right for a factory type finish on a car with almost no body work, maybe a door ding or two.

Price is going to change depending on location, type of paint,etc,etc.

Doing a color change correctly takes some time.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

I had my '93 Z28 painted BMW Black Sapphire Metallic. Because my car lived its life in the rust belt, we found quite a bit of rot once we dug in. To the tune of $5700, I supplied the following materials:

-new GM quarter panels
-new GM fenders
-new GM front bumper cover
-Trufiber SS hood
-thespoilercompany SS spoiler
-new windshield and side window glass
-all new GM weather strips
-DuPont paint
-POR15 (for the underside)

First, I stripped the interior and all suspension, brake, exhaust and fuel components from the underside of the car. The shop charged me $1000 to sandblast the underside, patch all rust in the floorboards/wheelhouses and paint the undercarriage with POR15. I then installed all new undercarriage components and the shop charged a further $9000 to replace the panels, repair the rust and paint pretty much every surface on the car.

If you don't need any extraordinary repair work or panel replacement, $7-8000 should get the job done right.

Quick Reply: Who had their car painted a different color by a shop? Cost?