Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need Advice on a scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Need Advice on a scratch

Ill post up some pictues tommorrow when it is light outside but I made a dumbass move tonight. I rubbed along a raised curb in a bank drive through line. My side skirt on my Trans Am is scraped up bad which Im not worried about, its a scratch on the door Im worried about. Its probably close to a foot long and I cant really tell how deep it is. Rubbing compound didnt do much. I know much cant be said without pictures but if I had to get it repainted would they want to blend the whole side of the car? I honestly wouldnt mind if they just repainted the bottom of the door and I could take off both side skirts for paint but I have no idea or knowledge on paint so school me. Pictures will be up tommorrow, end rant. Im gonna lose sleep over this.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Alright I used some rubbing compound and it really made the scratch close to gone. Im gonna take the car to get detailed and Im sure itll buff right out.
Anyone know how much it should cost to get 2 side skirts painted off the car?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the name of the rubbing compound you used?? and where can i get it?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

I would guess 2-400 according to what's needed and the shop. You might b able to work a deal to get your side skirts painted and get them to cut n buff the rest of the scratch out for you.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Rule of thumb it you can fill it with your finger nail iTS threw the clear. You can cut it with 2000 grit and either hand rub with compound or if you have acess to a buffer then thats even better... There are many compounds out there that work well i keep a bottle of finess in my detail bucket... When it comes to blending it all depends on the color and location of the damage if your car is pewter which is what it looks like then it is a hard color to match blending would be the best route. Sometimes if the damage is in the center of a panel you can loose it in that panel without having to go into another one just all depends. Post some pics and lets see what u got..

Last edited by ls1ls2crazy; 07-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rule of thumb for blending is if the damage is within 5 inches of the next panel then it'll need to be blended depending on the painter. If the painter knows what the hell he's doing then it shouldn't be too bad to not have to blend another panel. But, there's a ton of variables based on the color and sun fading and all that jazz.

Typical cost for our dealership is $250 per panel for total cost for the shop, so expect to pay more than that per panel. But, again it just depends on where you take it.

Also, NBM will need to be blended.

Source: I work in paint prep and auto body. I also own a NBM car.