Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

help with hood bird decal please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with hood bird decal please

okay, i just wetsanded and buffed my hood out to a nice blue shine, and decided it was time to put on my decal, which is a "screaming chicken" from the first t/a's, well, didnt happen, it was horribly wrinkled and bubbled in many places, what kind of tips do you guys have for installing large decals?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy who put mine on "test fit" the chicken w/o removing the paper backing; he taped it in place, removed the left side backing paper and smoothed out the LH side, then did the same to the RH side.

HPP did an article about two years ago with respect to putting one on - they used the water and a squeege method.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i marked my hood with masking tape perfect center, then tried to put it on dry, the left side turned out okay but had like 6 horrible wrinkles in it and millions of little and big air bubbles. then came the right side, and omg it was awful, the head went on crooked so downward to the tail was a big enough to notice gap, it was awful, i think i'll do the next one wet with squeege and really take my time on it. i need a better helper than my mom tho lol