Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

94 Formula repaint(Finished pics page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Any idea how to get the damn gas door off? My next option is a cut off wheel.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't believe it took all that to get through the paint on the hood, pretty wild, look forward to more progress
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, looking forward to the final result
Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finally made some progress. The car has been fighting me the whole way. I ended up sanding the quarters all the way down.

Found the same rust spot in the drivers quarter so I will have to cut that out.

Finished the quarters today. I'm really happy with them. I still have to weld that piece in so I didn't do any bodywork next to it. It will just get tack welded and I put some stuff around it so the heat doesn't go into the quarter panel.

I will get pics of the other quarter later.

On the sail panel on the driver side had a pretty good crack in it. I told the owner I'm not 100% it won't come back but I will try to fix it. I drilled out the ends of the crack to help relieve the stress. Then "V'd" the crack to get the loose stuff out. I used Kitty Hair in the crack, that sounds bad I know, then used the metal glaze on top of that. It's just about done. It's kinda tough to shape that edge just right.

I got the passenger side door sanded yesterday. I think that will be one of the few panels I won't have to do anything to.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I decided to finish the hood. Fixed a place in the front then went to 220 it. Sometimes you don't see deeper scratches till you use a finer paper. The finer paper makes the metal "shinnier" and the scratches are darker. I turned on all the lights in the paint booth and saw I had some scratches left from 80 grit and a few from 40. I did the whole thing over again in 80 and 150 then 220. I definately would have had the hood dipped if I would have known it would have taken this long. Hell the owner could have bought a fiberglass hood and it would have been less work. Oh well.

It's one smooth sexy bitch now

One of the first things I did when I started here was restore an original H pipe for a Hemi GTX. My boss handed me a DA sander and said, "Make it look new." This thing looked like it had been laying in a field somewhere for most of its life. 45 hours later after D/A'ing it with 80, 150,220,320 then wet sanding it with 400 and 600 he said, "It didn't look that good new." We had to rough it out a little bit. You could see yourself in it.
This is what I started with.

45 hours later this is what I had.

Going to the salvage yard in the morning finally to get a front bumper and a door. I'm waiting on spraying the hood because I'm going to spray the back half of the car in epoxy primer and I want to do everything at once.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 09-14-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Nice job again, the gas door may be pop riveted or something from the inside of quarter, maybe spotwelded or bolted not sure but I believe it's pop rivited on.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that probably won't be coming off then.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

when i painted my Z28 my gas door was pop rivited on, very easy to take off, BTW that bird is looking good, keep up with the good prep work!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you for the kind words. I need to take the wheel off and get in under the quarter and look. I really don't need to take it off because it will have to be on the car when I spray it anyway. Oh I wish it wasn't metallic. It's going to take all day to spray the damn thing.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

any updates?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Well that probably won't be coming off then.
Originally Posted by armyinfantry3id
when i painted my Z28 my gas door was pop rivited on, very easy to take off, BTW that bird is looking good, keep up with the good prep work!
You guys were right it was pop riveted on. I felt kinda dumb when I looked at it. I didn't see the four pop rivets in the quarter panel.

I got the pieces from the salvage yard for the quarter which are in really good shape. Cut them out, grinded them down and sprayed some weldable primer on everything.

Mocked it up. My bosses welder was acting funny and I couldn't figure it out. I soon realized it was out of argon. Went and grabbed a tank from the house and finished it.

When butt welding it's best to leave a gap between the panels because the metal expands. If there isn't enough room they will push against each other and make it warp. You have to tack weld it slow because it can warp the panel too. I used some heat stop from the local welding supply house. It absorbs the heat and keeps it from going past it. I got a just a little bit of warpage right above the weld but nothing serious. I'm going to use two rows of it on the driver side quarter. My gap ended up being a little bit too big so I had to fill it in some which I think is where the heat came from that caused the warpage.

I put a light behind it and can't see any pinholes. I always put kitty hair filler over the welds because it's more moisture resistant.

I will take the tire off so I can get in behind the quarter and shoot some seam sealer in the gap between the quarter and the inner fender and spray some under coating on it. I still need to dress the welds up on the inside of the quarter. They don't look bad and you will never see them but I want to smooth them out.

I got the kitty hair sanded down and put the last layer of filler on the quarter. I'll post up a pic of it later.

Cut the rust out of the drivers quarter and put some rust stop on it. I wish I would have done that Friday because it has to sit for 24 hours. It won't be till tomorrow afternoon that I can finish that side. The rust was smaller than the passenger side and should be an easy fix.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates. I've been working on the new house with the wife and haven't been in the shop in a week or so.

Cut the rust out of the driver side quarter and put the new piece in.

The driver side went much easier than the passenger side. Mostly because I think I cut the piece better and put a new tip and sheild on the welder.

Put more anit heat on and it really seemed to help. I didn't have any warpage on this side. I thought I took a picture of it after I ground the welds down but I can't find it.

Still need a little work

Much better

Used a hammer and dolly where I could on the quarters and a slide hammer setup to pull some of the dents out that I couldn't get to.

There looks like there is a lot of body filler in the quarters but most of it is just a skim coat. Finished them off with a light coat of glazing putty and sanded them down w/ 220.

Started to tape it up.

Finally laid some primer out tonight on the hood and the back of the car. I used PPG DP epoxy primer and K38. I am extremely happy with the way they turned out. After laying the epoxy primer down it looked great. Put two coats of filler primer on it and that's it. These things should be slick as hell after some 220 grit and wet 400.

Epoxy

K38

The hood looks great as well.

Epoxy

Can't find the K38 pics of the hood at the moment.

There is something in the lens of my phone. Sorry for the **** in the pictures.

Going to block the hood and quarters tomorrow. Then going to spray the hatch and doors. Hope to have it ready to spray by Friday. I need to get the damn thing done.

Another friend of mine called me last asking about a repaint for his black 95 Z28 SS clone. I shot him a price and he was very happy with it. So it looks like I'll be doing a Camaro after this.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Blocked the hood and quarters today. I will spray one more coat on it then wet sand it w/ wet 400.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Lookin good, I'll have to try that anti heat stuff did a caprice for a friend that he had another one of my buddy's weld up prices for shaving the do handles n they warped up bad, took forever getting the metal n filler work done on it!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

It works pretty good just have to put a few passes on.

I finished hand sanding the front bumper. I used some SEM's urethane bumper stripper on it. It worked pretty well but it didn't get all of it off. There were a few parts where the bumper swelled up a little bit. Have you ever ran into this?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome work! Keep 'em comin!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been working on some other stuff and finally got back to the bird today.

I had taken it to a friend that owns a body shop to have them pull out the rocker panel that was caved in. Well they pulled it out and screwed it up to the point where I couldn't fix it. That's 288 bucks I won't get back. I said screw it I'm putting a rocker panel in it. That was another 150 bucks.

Picked the rocker panel up this afternoon.

Cut the spot welds out

Ground the paint off and sprayed some weldable primer

Got started on the rocker on the car

Prepped for the new rocker

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Sorry i didnt see what color are you painting it?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

The color it was. Navy blue metallic I think it's called. I plan on spraying the jambs and edge everything Friday.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Awsome do you paint cars all the time?

Quick Reply: 94 Formula repaint(Finished pics page 5)