Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Swirl marks :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl marks :(

How do I get rid of them?! I just polished my black car and now they're everywhere!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you just polished and now have them, you need to learn how to prevent them before you go try to remove them

did you clay before you polished? what did you polish with?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed ^^^ not trying to be mean, but if they weren't there before and now they are you might have rubbed too hard. I use swirl x on my car. It doesn't remove the swirls, but it def softens them.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Swirl-X will indeed remove swirls if you know what you're doing, but you won't get much correction doing it by hand. Pick up a Porter Cable polisher and go to town with it.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Swirl-X will indeed remove swirls if you know what you're doing, but you won't get much correction doing it by hand. Pick up a Porter Cable polisher and go to town with it.
Exactly. Doing mine by hand only softens them up. With a good buffer I could see them going away completely. I don't have a buffer yet
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a Black & Decker buffer with 3M finishing glaze because I had some minor scratches I wanted off. I never used a claybay. A few years ago I did my black truck and the same thing happened... damned swirl marks. I really don't know what else to do to get rid of them... considering my only other option is to polish again.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by idle
I used a Black & Decker buffer with 3M finishing glaze because I had some minor scratches I wanted off. I never used a claybay. A few years ago I did my black truck and the same thing happened... damned swirl marks. I really don't know what else to do to get rid of them... considering my only other option is to polish again.
A glaze is a filler, it doesn't correct swirls. You definitely need to claybar before you do any kind of buffer work or you'll end up with even more swirl marks due to contaminants still on the paint. Black shows every imperfection in the paint unfortunately.

You'll need to wash and claybar the car real well first. Then, get a mild compound or polish. For a good one step over the counter compound, I like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Then follow up with a sealant (optional) and then finally a good wax. If you want, you could add the glaze after wax, but it isn't necessary.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually used something like this...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=464395_0_0_

It's 3M rubbing compound. But, today I'll go get a clay bar. Then wash the car first... I would assume. Dry it. Then Clay Bar. Then Meguiars' it. Correct?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually used something like this...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=464395_0_0_

It's 3M rubbing compound. But, today I'll go get a clay bar. Then wash the car first... I would assume. Dry it. Then Clay Bar. Then Meguiars' it. Correct?
I'm not too familiar with 3M products, but the description states that it removes 1200 grit and finer scratches. That seems like a pretty aggressive product IMO. You might just have haze and marring from using that particular compund. If that is the case, then you'll just need a less aggressive product like Meguiar's UC to get rid of the marks that the 3M made.

You're correct. Wash (IMO there's no need to completely dry the car), claybar, then polish and finally wax. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay man! I bought Mequires Swirl Remover and a Clay Bar today. What you think?! Try it out??
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, I bought a clay bar and that swirl remover. I used the clay bar then used a Glaze Compound... a real liquid stuff and wiped it on the spots I clay bar'd.... Will that glaze get rid of the swirls or just cover them up?

Edit: The glaze DID get rid of the swirls.... but when I wax it, will they just come back after a few washes or do I need to RE-buff it with Mequiars No-Swirl?

Last edited by idle; 08-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, I bought a clay bar and that swirl remover. I used the clay bar then used a Glaze Compound... a real liquid stuff and wiped it on the spots I clay bar'd.... Will that glaze get rid of the swirls or just cover them up?

Edit: The glaze DID get rid of the swirls.... but when I wax it, will they just come back after a few washes or do I need to RE-buff it with Mequiars No-Swirl?
Like I said above, the glaze only fills in the swirl marks, it will not get rid of them, they will eventually reappear after a few washes when the glaze is removed from the paint. You'll need to use the Meguair's Swirl-X to get rid of the marks for good. Depending on how bad the marks are, the Swirl-X might not be strong enough to get rid of them, especially if you are doing it by hand or not using a good buffer.

If you can get a good picture of the swirl marks either during a very bright and sunny day or under a direct bright light, we can better tell how bad the marks are.

Quick Reply: Swirl marks :(