Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Removed Molding Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removed Molding Need Help

So i started removing the molding from my driverside and once it was gone and all the tape removed i noticed that the car was repainted with the molding still on. There is a ridge of paint that goes all around where the molding was, my question is can you buff that ridge out and blend it into teh original paint. the colors are the exact same but it bothers me that there is an outline of where the molding was
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt buffing will do it but its hard to tell without a picture. I think you'll need to wetsand it a bit.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rbaksi
I doubt buffing will do it but its hard to tell without a picture. I think you'll need to wetsand it a bit.
is wet sanding something i can do by myself or leave to someone who knows what they are doing, i know you can burn through clear extremely fast but what if its done by hand?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you remove the molding?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing, I wetsanded mine a bit and buffed it by hand.. the ridge is still there but only noticeable by me.. Im cool with that
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
How did you remove the molding?
hair dryer, fishing line, and turtle wax glue remover
just used the hair dirty to heat it up a little then used the fishing line behind it and slowly used it to cut between the molding and the tape.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
Mine did the same thing, I wetsanded mine a bit and buffed it by hand.. the ridge is still there but only noticeable by me.. Im cool with that
what exactly did you use to wetsand by hand? trying to figure out how to get this as clean as i can without burning through the clear
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

ok, sounds complicated but its really not.. line each side of the ridge with aluminum tape, use this cause it wont sand away .... fill the gap with drywall mud and a plastic putty knife till its uniform and fills the gaps between the tape... wetsand with 800grit wet dry paper and a little soapy water, dish soap works well... you will go through the mud pretty quick but will soon see the clear high spots... go slow and those spots will get bigger as you knock the tops down...once the ridge is about 1/4" wide or so.. pull off the tape and lightly wetsand therest away with 1000 grit... hit it with 2000 grit if you want then buff it with Meguires ultimate compound and a micro fiber cloth....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you use goo gone as well to remove the excess glue? And hair dryer and fish line only to remove, you don't need to spray glue remover the same time your pulling? Sorry for highjacking, wanted to take my molding off.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

you can but i just used my fingers... if you cut it off with line it will roll off with some effort and a couple of blisters.. any scrubbing,rubbing or scraping will mess up the paint... if you just grab one end and pull it off, you risk the chance of it taking off paint... if you go slow and have someone use a hair dryer or heat gun on it lowest setting, you may have good luck... I just used an piece of lacing wire on mine then removed the foamy glue **** with my fingers.. then sanded it down so the old paint/new paint bump wasnt as noticeable...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Can you use goo gone as well to remove the excess glue? And hair dryer and fish line only to remove, you don't need to spray glue remover the same time your pulling? Sorry for highjacking, wanted to take my molding off.
i used an adhesive remover made by turtle wax that was paint safe its a white can with a green top use the gun to heat the molding and tape up and then slide the fishing line behind it and slowly work one side to the other, then use the glue remover to roll the tape off the car, no paint damage and removed it with very little effort, just sucks that some dumbass decided to take the cheap route and not remove the molding when they painted

Quick Reply: Removed Molding Need Help