Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

98-02 F-body Dash swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-02 F-body Dash swap

Hello
Im trying to remove the entire dash out of my wrecked 01 WS6 TA.
Anyone know how to begin or some basic instructions on how to do so?
I don't want to damage anything because I'm putting it in another TA.
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa060854.jpg   98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa060856.jpg   98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa060857.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

2 bad i cant help man... never done something like this before, but i guess you have to start taking the center console out, steering column, and start screwing all the bolts..
i hope some else can give you details on this..

welcome to the forum!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

5 bumps in an hour? In the late evening? C'mon man, seriously, have some patience and give it a little time

The center console should come out first. Take off the A pillar covers, then remove the dash pad. Take off the kick panels on both driver and passenger sides, probably remove the glove box door as well. Remove the steering wheel. Remove all the stuff from the center stack (radio, climate controls, etc) and remove the gauge cluster.

Other than that, I'm not sure, but look around for bolts and such. Once you have all that other stuff off I would think it should start becoming fairly apparent how things come apart. I do know along the top under the dash pad there are a number of bolts, and along the bottom there are bolts on brackets as well. I had to loosen those on my car to get my dash adjusted back where it belonged (it had sagged somehow).

Go slow, take it easy, and don't force anything.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Launching!

you should hit up 96famaro...he & his bro do this all the time.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=144223
Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. Though I work with cars i'm just now venturing into working on them. Started out with my WS6.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
5 bumps in an hour? In the late evening? C'mon man, seriously, have some patience and give it a little time

The center console should come out first. Take off the A pillar covers, then remove the dash pad. Take off the kick panels on both driver and passenger sides, probably remove the glove box door as well. Remove the steering wheel. Remove all the stuff from the center stack (radio, climate controls, etc) and remove the gauge cluster.

Other than that, I'm not sure, but look around for bolts and such. Once you have all that other stuff off I would think it should start becoming fairly apparent how things come apart. I do know along the top under the dash pad there are a number of bolts, and along the bottom there are bolts on brackets as well. I had to loosen those on my car to get my dash adjusted back where it belonged (it had sagged somehow).

Go slow, take it easy, and don't force anything.
Is there a way to take the dash off with out having to disconnect everything? Kinda like the engine and its harness?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvmun
Is there a way to take the dash off with out having to disconnect everything? Kinda like the engine and its harness?
No there isnt. That is if you mean can you remove the dash with all the wiring still plugged into it. There are a few harness connections that unplug from the main harness, but there are also a few connections off the main harness to the dash that are not. Like mentioned above, all the trim, gauges, hvac, radio, glovebox ect. has to come out. Once the center console, a-pillars, kick panels , and top shelf dash piece is out, I remove the 2 bolts that have the ground wires attached on both sides of the dash and all the other screws in various places on the lower portion, including the center bracket. Then I move to the top screws that are along the top edge of the dash. At this point the dash should be moveable and start separating the harness.

Jus take your time and pay attention. Its not that difficult at all, but it is a process. Good tip to avoid breaking anything, if you get to point where you feel like your having to force movement in the dash, youve likely missed a screw. With all the screws out, it doesnt require alot of force at all to take out.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, this dude is thirsty as hell with the bumps
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Theres a complete write up with pictures on this site. The entire job will be a real pain. Look at 5 hours to remove, then you have to remove from the other car then you have to install. My dash is cracked and I still will probably never replace dash. I was at the junk yard and had access to take the dash off a 2000 z28. One screw I could never find to remove dash I had to give up. If I need this job done I will have to pay someone that has experience. Also have to drop the steering column. Good luck, find the thread it might be in the frequently asked question section up top.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LT4vert is right, these dashes are very fragile, you try and force any thing, your going to break it. I know that from personal experience doing an ebony dash swap in my 93, thus why I am looking for another shell.

Some Tips

Take the seats out of the car, makes working under the dash a lot more comfortable.

There is also a pass key module, it's best to take the radio out, reach in there and unplug it before you take the dash out.

You can leave the steering wheel on, but you'll need to remove two column braces and let it hang down.

On removal and install, it's best to have a friend help you. On install have him or her grab one end and gently orientate the dash over to the ground studs and over the column. On removal have them help you take the dash out, the key is being very gentle and not forcing any thing, you try and man handle it, you'll break it. If you try to place it over by your self and you hit the column, you can easily break the dash that way also.

The heavy end is the air bag end on the passenger side obviously. When you have the dash out, every thing is a complete swap over.

On reinstall leave every thing semi loose till you get all the bolt ins, you may very well have to gently shift the dash around little bit to get every thing to line up.

Chances are you'll knock the tabs around on the car that top dash bolts go in, so you'll need to re-orientate those to your bolt holes.

On an ebony dash, the glove box door will have a key lock, you can swap the latch hardware out pretty easily, my 93 didn't have a key lock on the factory glove box door so I used my original key-less latch.

The HVAC controls come off easy but are some what of a pain to put back on.

Main thing is take your time, don't force any thing and think about what your doing as your doing. Also this is a really good time to swap heater cores or an a/c evap core if the car needs it.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 10-07-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

So. it's been a slow process but it's starting look effective.
Any tips from here on?
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa080874.jpg   98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa080875.jpg   98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa080876.jpg   98-02 F-body Dash swap-pa080877.jpg  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

bumpdashness
Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Radio and climate controls have been removed.
Bump
Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get it out? if not, pm me.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Ended up parting it out, first went the interior (pannels, carpet, leather, headliner) then hatch rear end (lights and junk) driver train ect. Never finished But broke even and profit made. Also made room for my new 02 slp firehawk. RIP ws6
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry man .. Atleast u gave it a shot ..

Quick Reply: 98-02 F-body Dash swap