Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint questions :)

Hey guys I have a 02 camaro and this winter I want to paint a few things I want to paint my Berger panel, my side mirrors , and my billet grille .. I am based in Germany so what I can use is limited .. I want to paint those parts a gloss black that would last atleast like 2 yr s or so .. Also for the Berger panel what's best to take off the emblems or tape them off? So my question is what every day products can I use to do this job that will last and what's the steps in getting this job done? Sand, primer, paint,clear coat? Idk help me out please thanks in advance guys
Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Use some fishing line to take emblems off n some adhesive remover to get the rest of the two-sided tape off. Sand with 500 to 800 sand paper or scuff with a grey scuff pad. Tape n paper off if u still have on car n wipe off with some wax n greese remover then spray, I like wurth spay can paint if your usein spay can paint if not spies hecker is nice and is sold in Germany I believe.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks sinister .. Any more advise fellas ?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Pretty decent advice right there
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it isn't much trouble to you, I'd take the berger off to paint it, just me personally. Definitely remove the emblems, you can always stick them back on with double sided tape.. Should help if you use a blow drier as well..

With the paint work take your time to prep it well, if you mess up during the base coat you may have to re-sand and shoot. If you want it really smooth, as in very little to no orange peel, you can wet sand with a high grit sandpaper, then shoot your clear.

Of course as stated clean the areas to be painted very well

I'm no expert, not even close.. just sharing some, maybe a pro will chime in.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is any damage(scratches, chips, etc...) that you will be fixing in the process you will take a little different steps. If no damage, just shooting new color, then sand with 800g - 1000g. Wet or dry, your choice. Clean well, mask, and just shoot color coat. Apply 2 to 3 light-wet coats, allowing to flash in between coats. If any damage repair(feather and primer, just feather, depends on what damage) then sand with 320g - 500g. Apply a coat of sealer and allow to flash. Then color as stated. Then apply 2 - 3 wet coats of clear and allow to flash. Done. As for paint, I use Sikkens Autobase so that's what I would recommend. But any decent paint will do. I wouldn't recommend rattle can, unless you have a paint shop mix it for you. Don't skimp on the wuality of the clear. It's the protectant, so you dont want it to be shitty. Again, I use Sikkens or Lesonal. I would NOT recommend getting clear in a rattle can, but if its what you gotta do then go for it. I think that's about it. I'm not used to typing it out, just doing it. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM and i'll be glad to help. I paint cars for a living, so I have a pretty good handle on it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ARLS1
If there is any damage(scratches, chips, etc...) that you will be fixing in the process you will take a little different steps. If no damage, just shooting new color, then sand with 800g - 1000g. Wet or dry, your choice. Clean well, mask, and just shoot color coat. Apply 2 to 3 light-wet coats, allowing to flash in between coats. If any damage repair(feather and primer, just feather, depends on what damage) then sand with 320g - 500g. Apply a coat of sealer and allow to flash. Then color as stated. Then apply 2 - 3 wet coats of clear and allow to flash. Done. As for paint, I use Sikkens Autobase so that's what I would recommend. But any decent paint will do. I wouldn't recommend rattle can, unless you have a paint shop mix it for you. Don't skimp on the wuality of the clear. It's the protectant, so you dont want it to be shitty. Again, I use Sikkens or Lesonal. I would NOT recommend getting clear in a rattle can, but if its what you gotta do then go for it. I think that's about it. I'm not used to typing it out, just doing it. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM and i'll be glad to help. I paint cars for a living, so I have a pretty good handle on it.
i'm not sure if you meant it didn't need to be sanded at all, but I'd say it's a good idea...just a thought.
edit: before spraying anything new, i mean
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Yes it always needs to be sanded. I was just saying if there is no damage its a little easier. If your billet grille isn't already painted, hit it with a coat of self etching primer prior to anything listed above.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM

If your just doing a few parts there are alot of good options as far as single stage paint that still produce a good finish. You still have to prep and sand your panels whether that be with some 320-400 or even a gray (fine) sctoch brite pad then seal your panels but it eliminates having to buy a bunch of product just to do a few parts. You may even be able to get by with using just a epoxy tinted to the color you want. Just some ideas on the cheap side.

Quick Reply: Paint questions :)