Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???

I've done a bunch of searching on here and I've seen quite a few intakes that have been painted pewter, but I'm not sure I'm feeling that color. Since the car is Pewter in color, I guess it would make sense to paint it pewter, but what are some other colors that would look good on a Pewter colored car? Pewter colored cars, feel free to post up pics.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Root beer brown or burnt orange.....

I have a pewter SS and thought of doing some pin striping in those colors for a little pop.

Hell maybe pewter, with those colors as a highlight.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Put black base let it flash dry, get some mesh or some sort of fabric screen or design to use as a stencil, lay it down over the black or lightly tape it down then lightly spray some pewter over the high areas of the intake remove carefully then clear.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Put black base let it flash dry, get some mesh or some sort of fabric screen or design to use as a stencil, lay it down over the black or lightly tape it down then lightly spray some pewter over the high areas of the intake remove carefully then clear.
That's funny because I thought about doing that, but instead using fishnet stockings. On an episode of American Choppers, Nub, from Nub Graphics, painted a gas tank that way. He laid down the base color, put the stockings over the tank and painted over the base coat. It turned out really good. You think the fishnets would work, or is there something else better to use?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

You can probably go to Wally world and get a few different types of fabric or fishnet and practice on a piece of cardboard to see if it will come out the way you want. Fishnet may be to large maybe something with a smaller pattern but like I said u could practice it first, look in the fabric n craft section you may find something u like, I think it will give it a good effect though.
If I can find the pics of a helmet I did I'll post it up, I didn't use a fabric stencil but made one out of some cut up tape to do a feather pattern for a eagle n done it with black n gold, it will give u a ideal of what the colors will look like together.I'll look for it after work.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
You can probably go to Wally world and get a few different types of fabric or fishnet and practice on a piece of cardboard to see if it will come out the way you want. Fishnet may be to large maybe something with a smaller pattern but like I said u could practice it first, look in the fabric n craft section you may find something u like, I think it will give it a good effect though.
If I can find the pics of a helmet I did I'll post it up, I didn't use a fabric stencil but made one out of some cut up tape to do a feather pattern for a eagle n done it with black n gold, it will give u a ideal of what the colors will look like together.I'll look for it after work.
Yeah, if you can find a pic of the helmet you did, that would be great. I agree, I think it would look really cool doing it that way. I will definatley practice it first before going through with it. It sounds like you've got a lot of artistic talent to make a pattern out of tape. I'd love to see it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???-009.jpg

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???-011.jpg

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???-014.jpg

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???-016.jpg

Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???-010.jpg

i didnt do a real elaborate stencil just cut slightly bigger feather shape in the center, and smaller for the head, placed where i thought it looked right and spayed the gold, after i had the feathers down i spayed a light coat of the gold down the center to highlight the center or top to add a little depth. i used a airbrush to do this.
the pics where taken with a phone so the quality isnt that good.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bumping this, gettings ls6 and curious what color to paint it. thinking pewter or gunmetal
Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the idea of the pewter/black fishnet but solid pewter I think would look good as well. My intake is a FAST and didn't really want to paint it but I did do my interior pieces in pewter though. Just another idea for someone.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think gloss black is the best,
Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I painted mine dark shadow grey, close to anthracite color

here it is..

The clear lid is replaced with FTP 98mm lid which I'll be painting the same color as the intake.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is nice. Was it pretty easy to do? I also see you've got PRC 215 heads and a MS4 cam. What kind of numbers does she make?

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I like the idea of the pewter/black fishnet but solid pewter I think would look good as well. My intake is a FAST and didn't really want to paint it but I did do my interior pieces in pewter though. Just another idea for someone.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The intake is how it came from Fast. The interior I took 400 grit all over the parts and used the white plastic primer from autozone and then sprayed duplicolor perfect match paint and then hit it with clear. It turned out alot better than I thought it was going to. I had extra interior pieces so I can go back stock if I choose. I wouldn't recommend doing to your only ones just in case you don't like it.

Quick Reply: Pewter WS6 - What color to paint intake and lid???