Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

(Pic inside) Help needed with Fender alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default (Pic inside) Help needed with Fender alignment

Finally got the chance to go out and try to align my fender today, didn't turn out to be as easy as I thought it would have been. Once I got under the car, I realized that the Fender tab is badly cracked, when I took the vice grips to the tab and tried to move it back, nothing happened.

This is what I'm dealing with:

As you can see the tab looks pretty screwed, any ideas for a fix? I'm thinking maybe having someone physically push the fender back to the point where it's aligned to the door, then drilling some kind of a bolt into the tab where it's cracked at and maybe that will make it stay in the proper position. Not really sure though, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try to scre it in, or take the fender off and fix where it has torn, or get a new fender. Maybe make a small metal bracket to go behind the bottom inside of the fender, measure and drill to holes for the original fender bolts and then glue n self tapping screws though the bottom of fender into the bracket.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely don't want to replace the fender, not that big of a deal. But, about the last thing you brought up with the replacement metal bracket though, can you explain that in a little more detail? That doesn't sound too bad at all.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Try to explain when I'm sober, happy new years m. Fu**ers!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the bolts, bend it back, use a washer on the head of the bolt, screw it back together. It is plastic, it will go back. Common thing and i have fixed a bunch of them for people.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

some 3M bumper glue can fix that tab
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Heating it up will also help. Unbolt it and move the metal tab, then heat the plastic and reattach
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Originally Posted by Jpack
Remove the bolts, bend it back, use a washer on the head of the bolt, screw it back together. It is plastic, it will go back. Common thing and i have fixed a bunch of them for people.
I think I'll try this out tomorrow, but are you saying if I remove the crap bolts that are on the tab, it's going to bend back like it should? Because right now it won't even budge.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

The problem(from what I can tell from the pics) is that the plastic fender where it bolts is torn. You can try and glue it or make some sort of bracket like I mentioned, you can try a small piece of thin metal probably around 5" long and 3" wide, mark on one side where to drill some holes the size of the bolts, drill the holes then put in a vice and hammer till it's 90 degrees or so, may have to test fit and bend accordingly then you can screw the bottom of the fender into the bracket useing self tapping screws you can use some panel bond glue also for extra strength. Then bolt the fender and bracket to the car.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is with it still attached to the bumper you are trying to move both pieces. The stronger of the two is metal. Remove the bolts from the fender, straighten out the metal, push the plastic back to the metal. Start the bolts with some washers. It will go back. The plastic has been stuck in a bent position and formed to its current position. Once atached the the straightened metal, it will relearn its ne position. Should take you ten mins to get it done. Very common issue with people jacking the car up where it clearly says do not jack here.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate the help guys, I'm going to get out there and mess with it more whenever we have another day that's warmer than 40*. By the way you all put it I should be able to fix it pretty easily.

Quick Reply: (Pic inside) Help needed with Fender alignment