Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rust and Panel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust and Panel Issues

I've noticed the black paint on the sail panel that seperates the rear hatch and the t-tops is wavy and has bubbling, and I suspect there to be rust forming under it (the car in question is a '01 Z28, was a MI car for several years). Is this panel glued, bolted, or screwed in place? I can't check as I don't have access to a garage, and it is going to be raining all week (I live in WA, it's always raining...). A seperate issue from this is that my rear bumper cover seems to be missing two screws/fasteners on the sides that connect to the rear wheel wells on the outside of the body. What's missing, and where can I find a replacement?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioZ
I've noticed the black paint on the sail panel that seperates the rear hatch and the t-tops is wavy and has bubbling, and I suspect there to be rust forming under it (the car in question is a '01 Z28, was a MI car for several years). Is this panel glued, bolted, or screwed in place?
It's not rust. The panel is held in place by glue, and it's that glue which is causing the waves and bubbles as it eats through the panel. This is a well known issue with a massive sticky devoted to it here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

There is only one way to repair this issue; you have to remove the panel and install a new one, either from an older donor car (4th gens built before May of '98 don't develop this issue, but anything built in 05/98 or later is at risk) or a reproduction panel from site sponsor 6LE. This panel was discontinued by GM a while ago, and 6LE is the only reproduction source currently available.

There is no way to repair this issue permanently without removing and replacing the panel. Sanding and painting won't work, covering it with body filler won't work. Everything has been tried and nothing works other than removing the old panel and glue, and installing a new one.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, thanks. Well, looks like I'll be buying a new one. Not many wrecking yards around here, and I'd rather have it not be a future issue.

EDIT: Followed the link to the FAQ. Thanks for the information!

Last edited by RadioZ; 01-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Rust and Panel Issues