Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HOW TO: Rocker panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOW TO: Rocker panel removal

I could'nt locate any clear instructions on how to do this, and while this isnt the most detailed instruction, hopefully it will serve to help get you on the right track.

Things you'll need:

1. A drill.
2. Spot weld cutter. You can find these at harbor freight for like 6 bucks.
3. A punch
4. small prybar.

(1)First I'll go over some basics about spotwelds/ plug welds and how to remove them.
Basically a spot weld is when contacting metal surfaces are joined by the heat obtained from resistance to electric current flow. panels are held together under pressure exerted by electrodes. Typically the sheets are in the 0.5 to 3 mm (0.020 to 0.12 in) thickness range. The process uses two shaped copper alloy electrodes to concentrate welding current into a small "spot" and to simultaneously clamp the sheets together. Forcing a large current through the spot will melt the metal and form the weld.
A plug weld is similar and is made when one panel with a circular hole is joined to another metal panel positioned directly beneath it, then the hole is filled in with a filler metal.

(2) You'll want to jack the car up off the ground so you can get your drill to the welds on the bottom of the panel

(3) To remove a plug or spot weld you need to first use a punch to make a small dent in the center of the weld. This is so the point on the bit doesnt jump around.

(4) Now for the actual removal, place the tip of the bit on the indention you made and drill. It doesnt take much, and be careful not to drill through the bottom panel. you only want to drill through the top.

There are a series of these welds about 3 inches apart down the length of the rocker panel, top and bottom side. there are 3 welds at the front of the panel that will be a PITA to get to. In my case, I had to replace the door and a section of the quarter, if your level of damage isnt as severe as mine, you may have to locate a few more welds.

I've included several pictures of the removal of my rocker panel, as well as a picture of what a spot weld cutter looks like.

If I forgot anything, feel free to correct me.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Rocker panel removal-image_3222.jpg   HOW TO: Rocker panel removal-020912173243.jpg   HOW TO: Rocker panel removal-012912163359.jpg   HOW TO: Rocker panel removal-020912182016.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM
LA1
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a W body Impala. The 4 jacking points for using the jack that comes with the car, well I use those for my jack stands. The other day I noticed one was alittle rusty/flakey. I put a jack stand there, when the full weight of the car was on it...lol it ( the jack stand) punched through with a crunch noise. I would like to repair this. Is this the frame or the rocker panel that I am using for the jack from the car / jack stand. I would like to get this repaired.
The car is in great shape for 10 years old.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Rocker panel removal