Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Some jackass hit me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just gonna mention probably some gerri hit your car and didn't even know it!

Ever watch old folks (that should no longer have a licensed to drive) back out of parking stalls or parallel park?

Any damage before the door forward is somewhat an easy (low cost) fix but anything past that is straight up $$$ body shop repair.

I feel for ya man!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
I was just gonna mention probably some gerri hit your car and didn't even know it!

Ever watch old folks (that should no longer have a licensed to drive) back out of parking stalls or parallel park?

Any damage before the door forward is somewhat an easy (low cost) fix but anything past that is straight up $$$ body shop repair.

I feel for ya man!
Lol I did think about that and mention it to the three cops that showed up (Wat a waste of tax payer money lol) but they can't put together that the marks on my car and the old ***** car were conventiently damaged at the same height of 19 inches.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I just took off the factory ground effects and it looks like my car was parked in the middle of a MW3 map all shot up to hell LMAOOO

In all your safe and alive!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

it will probably be around a grand. i got hit on the same qp just above the rear tire and it was 2200 to fix that dent, redo some other older body work and paint the entire car. but my car was painted with satin black so thats what made it cheaper. since you will need it to be pulled, painted, blended and cleared, your looking around a grand probably. i went to fleming island autobody (off 17 at the beginning of fleming island) and he did great work. he also owns fbodies and was a cool dude. you do not want to cut off the qp and get another one welded in. its too much work and alot more expensive
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man.. someone hitting your car in a parking lot doesn't go under "collision", it goes under "uninsured motorist". Talk to your insurance again... and see if you took that one.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

Is that YOUR paint on the old person's car? Take a flake of that **** off and get it matched to your color code. Hello officer, still don't think he did it? Did you actually talk to the owner of that car? Unless it's an old **** and not just an older gentleman, I don't see why they wouldn't admit to it.

Of course it couldn't have been over to the left a foot and just have been the door, it's gotta be our welded on quarter panels. If you want, you can get the 3m dent puller (red suction cup thing) use a heat gun to warm up the panel (or two hairdryers) and see if you can work it out. I'd put it right below the molding and pull. As for the molding, you can get any molding and just base/clear it and glue it on, unless you find a red one.

But the way it sits now, I imagine a shop would work that out as much as they could, use body filler to fill in any low spots, sand down that chip area to the metal & fill/primer, scotchbrite pad the entire door, blend the base color from the panel across 3/4 of the door, and then everything would be cleared. If you go that route I'd consider filling the chip yourself with some color matched paint. Build it up, wetsand it even with the door and polish out the wetsanding scratches. If the chip is deep, you can use a little spot/glaze putty and fill it in, then put your color. I'm sure it'd save you some money if they didn't have to touch the door at all, your paint looks great it shouldn't be necessary to blend into the door.

Good luck dude.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 AM
TECH Regular

OP I had similar damage on my old 'Bird. Cost me roughly $700 to fix. Literally the same dent in the same spot.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gm02ceta

I feel for ya man!
This is true. I was with my brother one day going into a store and saw this elderly person backing up by a planter curb and they had the wheel turned would back up, curb rash the rim, go forward, put it in reverse same thing, etc till it finally road over it and they went on there way.

Op hope it doesn't end up costing too much.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, we'll see what happens and Ill call up insurance again and try the uninsured motorist route. I've also posted up bulletins above all the mail boxes in all the buildings, bout to print out some business card sized cards and put em on all the cars that park in that lot. Hopefully someone will come forward but if not Im gonna try to pull it out myself the best I can. It turned out the door wasnt hit bad, just has what looks like a small tire mark on the molding that can prolly be buffed out, It was wat looks like white paint that I wiped off of the door so Im looking for a white vehicle to kick a fender on.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

If you were closer I would give it a try. I do PDR (paintless dent repair)..and I do collision work at our shop. Its an easy fix, I bet I could get it 95% and wouldnt need paint other than the chips/scrathes. Sucks people do **** like this but I could fix that for under a grand easy. To PDR it maybe $200..lol
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 14k
From what I have read on here insurance will total it for that. Sad. Maybe you can get what you need cut off a junk yard car and replace or a painless dent repair?
Uh, no.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Teching In

sucks!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I sent her a high res pic and she forwarded it to him. And yes theres a chip taken out of the door. I also would like to know if there's any way i can get a new rear side molding, prolly junk yard tho

Just pull the molding off all the way around, it looks much cleaner that way. I pulled mine off and I love it. My thumbs had a couple of blisters, but other than that, it was worth the effort.

I still have the ones I pulled off, I'd have no problem sending you the piece you need. It's red also, but you would probably need to paint it anyways.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I had nearly this exact thing happen to me, driver's side rear quarter panel, except they also ripped up the door panel. His insurance covered it, $2,200. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn OP, that really sucks man, sorry for the troubles. Paintless dent repair takes my vote, body shops always know people who do this, hit them up. Shouldn't be more then a hundred bucks. Side note, full coverage ASAP.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

SO I finally went out and got an estimate today on this and the shop wants $600 to reform the metal and repaint the whole quarter which it was kinda fading on the edge a little near the hatch line but I'd have to replace the rear section of my dick harrell stripe (yet again). I also found some guys on craigslist who will do it for 500 but they just gonna reform bondo and blend in the locallity of the damage. Is it worth the extra 120 bucks extra to do the whole quarter and replace the stripe?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

i say let a shop and not some one on CL. you at least have someone with a business to back the work and not joe shmoe off the street. id spend the extra 120 and know it was done right.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
SO I finally went out and got an estimate today on this and the shop wants $600 to reform the metal and repaint the whole quarter which it was kinda fading on the edge a little near the hatch line but I'd have to replace the rear section of my dick harrell stripe (yet again). I also found some guys on craigslist who will do it for 500 but they just gonna reform bondo and blend in the locallity of the damage. Is it worth the extra 120 bucks extra to do the whole quarter and replace the stripe?

that was a dumb question....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1fst98
i say let a shop and not some one on CL. you at least have someone with a business to back the work and not joe shmoe off the street. id spend the extra 120 and know it was done right.
Thats what I was leaning towards. THanks

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
that was a dumb question....
And hey, **** you buddy, dumb questions for a dumb guy. My teachers always said there are no dumb questions only dumb people. Oh wait did that come out right? lol. But for real just wanted opinions, ive had good results with people on craigslist who usually have a pretty good shop, they just dont have advertising money or the greatest location, I wasnt planning on just dropping my car off at some random dudes house so they can strip that bitch and sell it lol.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it's worth it. Get the work done by a place you can go back to incase you need to.

You wouldn't go to a free lancer dentist ...right? ..thought so

Quick Reply: Some jackass hit me...