Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Duraflex ram air hoods - are they good? Anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that VFN makes the best fitment hood other than an OEM hood. You can check them out, it looks like they have one very similar to what you are looking at. It's called: "The Smoothie Q" It's a bit more expensive, but VFN is top quality.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

If VFN would not be on such long long long preorder, I would already bought it...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Launching!

I'm not bashing VFN but the hood we got from them was a total piece of crap... I just got the body work done on my "hood4sale" knockoff tonight and got it in primer, and it's leaps and bounds above the VFN hood we got last year. I was really dissapointed for the 800 bucks we spent.

One thing that really surprised me on this knockoff hood was how thick the gelcoat is (the most expensive part in finishing the hood). It needed a fair amount of bondo, but FAR less than the VFN hood and the gelcoat was so thick that we were able to sand down the majority of the spots and never came close to burning through. We'll have the color/clear on it by Saturday night.. but so far it's looking really promising.

I know I'm beating it to death but these hoods are so ******* worth it... I hate to see people waste money.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

93z383, could you give a link? Do they come with meshes? What's the weight?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 93z383
I'm not bashing VFN but the hood we got from them was a total piece of crap... I just got the body work done on my "hood4sale" knockoff tonight and got it in primer, and it's leaps and bounds above the VFN hood we got last year.
I know the typical response on here is to go with VFN for quality; that's why I bought one. I want to add to the caution about them. On mine, the lower left corner was tweaked upwards and no amount of lowering the stops or adjusting the hinges could compensate for it. Ended up selling the car and losing the money I spent on it and more.
Attached Thumbnails Duraflex ram air hoods - are they good? Anyone got one?-hood-pics-006.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Launching!

I know we spent the extra money with VFN for the quality.. I've seen many nice hoods from them but ours was just totally FUBAR.. you think your's was bad, our's was like that on every corner no matter how much adjustment we made... moving one end would throw the other end off, the corners were too short and didn't match up, they were warped/flared up, it was all warped out...

Not to mention the insane amount of body work it needed just to look decent after paint, you wouldn't have believed it. The other part that pissed us off to no end was that the hood was supposed to be "bolt on" with no modifications according to them, but once we drove down (8 hours) to get the hood, we planned on installing it in the parking lot. Found out 2 of the brackets needed cutting / fabrication to fit the hood, and the 2 middle brackets needed to be almost cut out completely to accept the weird mounts on the new hood... basically he couldn't put the stock hood back on unless he bought all new bracketry. I mean there was just raw spots in the gel coat where it looked like they saw problems in the finish and sanded them down so far that there were quarter-sized (if not bigger) spots all over the hood that were just raw fiberglass.

End long *** rant...

It was a complete and utter disappointment and they offered nothing to rectify the situation... we were SUPER bummed.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Yep your hood apparently was far worse than mine. I didn't have problems with the finish and it didn't need a lot of body work. It was a bit short, but I got that adjusted out acceptably. Three corners were good, but the lower left was warped upwards and there was no getting it flush.

What pissed me off is that the body shop assured me that it fit fine before I authorized them to paint it. I was a dumbass and didn't go down and look for myself. You should have seen how they delivered it to me on the car. What an abortion. I was in shock.

I brought it home and worked and worked the thing. I made a lot of progress with it, but there was no getting the one corner flush no matter what I did.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 93z383
I know we spent the extra money with VFN for the quality.. I've seen many nice hoods from them but ours was just totally FUBAR.. you think your's was bad, our's was like that on every corner no matter how much adjustment we made... moving one end would throw the other end off, the corners were too short and didn't match up, they were warped/flared up, it was all warped out...

Not to mention the insane amount of body work it needed just to look decent after paint, you wouldn't have believed it. The other part that pissed us off to no end was that the hood was supposed to be "bolt on" with no modifications according to them, but once we drove down (8 hours) to get the hood, we planned on installing it in the parking lot. Found out 2 of the brackets needed cutting / fabrication to fit the hood, and the 2 middle brackets needed to be almost cut out completely to accept the weird mounts on the new hood... basically he couldn't put the stock hood back on unless he bought all new bracketry. I mean there was just raw spots in the gel coat where it looked like they saw problems in the finish and sanded them down so far that there were quarter-sized (if not bigger) spots all over the hood that were just raw fiberglass.

End long *** rant...

It was a complete and utter disappointment and they offered nothing to rectify the situation... we were SUPER bummed.

Alright, I have to jump in here.

For one, we don't tell anyone that there are NO modifications needed to install the hood to the car.
In fact, we send instructions along with our hoods AND have a video setup on our website to show people what is needed to install these hoods - which was done by our guy who does installs here at our location (by appointment) for local customers.

We don't recommend installing our hoods in the parking lot, but we have had several customers do just that. During those times our guys have gone out there and have given pointers to help them along, in some cases even borrowed them some tools to install.
There are a ton of members on this forum who have brought them in and we have helped them install their hoods, who can attest to that fact.

IF, you were here and couldn't get the hood to fit, why was it not brought to our attention at that point? There is generally no cutting of the brackets to mount our hoods - opening up the hinge area yes, but never going to that extreme - if you are going outside of the norm for install, then something is being done wrong.
Which leads me to question this, if you were having major problems installing the hood in our parking lot, why was it not brought to our attention at that point?!
If it had been, I am sure that our guy would have gone out there to either assist or give you pointers on how to finish the install, getting it to fit correctly.

At this point, we have to wonder if you've ordered from us or if you're not Mr. Hood4Sale himself. We're a small shop, and have a good long memory and don't recall ANYTHING like this. Until you provide order number, or when it was ordered and the name it was ordered under and we can verify this, it's really hard to believe otherwise.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Funny, on his negative feedback - how it's EVERYONE else's fault but the guy who is making the product. Takes no responsibility for correcting the problem - although, nobody complains about his coins!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...s=negative_180
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Vetal - I know we spoke and you were in a time crunch ~ If you had to go elsewhere, I would recommend checking with Trufiber to see if they can help you out. Haven't heard or seen anything negative about their products, and by appearance, it does look like they make a nice hood ~
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vfntech
Vetal - I know we spoke and you were in a time crunch ~ If you had to go elsewhere, I would recommend checking with Trufiber to see if they can help you out. Haven't heard or seen anything negative about their products, and by appearance, it does look like they make a nice hood ~
Yes from my research they are nice hoods too, BUT they appear to be 35lbs, I'd rather get yours at 25lbs...
Thanks a lot for that suggestion however
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Too bad they don't put meshes in them; if I have to buy meshes, that's almost Trufiber or VFN price
Do not buy from "hoods4sale" just burn the money. Worst fitting piece of **** I have ever seen.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had/have three VFN hoods and am happy with them. They will most likely be who I get another from in the future.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vfn kicks ***! Quality is great and customer service is awesome as well!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Launching!

That's why theres 3 guys in one non related thread with bad VFN hoods...

uhh we did "bring it to your attention". Your guy came out and said it's common to have to slot/fabricate the hinges/mounts to accept the fiberglass hood. He also said "oh no once you get the mounts taken care of the hood will fit perfectly". Basically said everything he could to get us to leave with the hood. Well it fit horribly after everything and took almost a gallon of bondo. Still fits like ****. I called and we brought it up right in the parking lot and there was nothing you could do".

Quick Reply: Duraflex ram air hoods - are they good? Anyone got one?