Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New pics of the Imp SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pics of the Imp SS

Here some shots of a few things I recently finished up.. still got alot more to go but she is gettin there.

Had a small run-in with a chain link fence, which btw totally destroys paint and gouges straight to bare metal.. ugh. Got a fresh paint job and happened to go check the progress before they put the badges back on and though it looked clean w/o em so jus had em leave it like that.

I had my tails completely tinted but after getting a ticket and not wanting to go back to the stock look this is what I came up with.

Shaved the dash, painted black, added the chrome SS emblem and then cleared over the whole thing. Still need to finish the door trim and the piece around the shifter.

I know this looks like a mess right now lol, im about half way done with the passenger side... working on filling all the dead spaces around the wheel well/deck/trunk lid area with spray foam before I finish lining everything with deadening mat.

Last edited by critical.in.ga; 04-16-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope you realize by filling those spaces with foam it will trap moisture and cause rust. Just an FYI.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Hmm... Great Stuff foam is closed cell so it makes a waterproof seal so I shouldn't have any moisture problems as well as being no bare metal so I'm not sure how rust could be an issue...? Please explain.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are correct it is closed cell foam and it won't retain water, however as the metal around it gets hot and cold in the Georgia weather we live in the moisture will build up between the steel and foam. Even though the body of a car is sealed from the factory by dipping it in e- coat it doesn't always get in between the pinch welds, so now since you put foam in the open cavities the moisture has no way to evaporate quickly so it will collect in the pinchwelds and mildew over time and eventually rot the metal, which will happen just a matter of when.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1CMR
You are correct it is closed cell foam and it won't retain water, however as the metal around it gets hot and cold in the Georgia weather we live in the moisture will build up between the steel and foam. Even though the body of a car is sealed from the factory by dipping it in e- coat it doesn't always get in between the pinch welds, so now since you put foam in the open cavities the moisture has no way to evaporate quickly so it will collect in the pinchwelds and mildew over time and eventually rot the metal, which will happen just a matter of when.
Exactly. Those "lids" over the headlights look out of place and those wheels are hideous.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Dammit... lol. I just finished it today and it sounds SOO much better too... fml.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chaman
Exactly. Those "lids" over the headlights look out of place and those wheels are hideous.
You do know that most high end vehicles are filled with foam right? Alot of racers fill their frame rails with foam to stiffen the chassis. And when I was tearing apart the interior there is foam from the factory inside alot of the body panels. The car has been to several shows and got nothing but compliments on how nice the car looks, so to each his own u ***. Whats up with this forum and no one saying **** unless its negative?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

As for the foam.. I don't know. I really like the blacked out trim and the front grill but I don't like the wheels. My .02. You don't see SS's much so I like it regardless because I know there is a lot of people who probably get wrecked and have no idea what hit em!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by critical.in.ga
You do know that most high end vehicles are filled with foam right? Alot of racers fill their frame rails with foam to stiffen the chassis. And when I was tearing apart the interior there is foam from the factory inside alot of the body panels. The car has been to several shows and got nothing but compliments on how nice the car looks, so to each his own u ***. Whats up with this forum and no one saying **** unless its negative?
You are correct the foam is installed in all cars as a barrier from fumes and drafts in the body, It does not add strength, it is just a barrier. As for your car its really clean, not my taste in wheels but its not my car. Hell i had someone tell me my hood looked like a boatramp.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for the comments guys! As for the wheels, I wish I could afford some iForged! But these cheapo ebay msr wheels will do for now lol, its lowered 4"/5" and with the stock SS wheels it looked terrible. Just curious what about the wheels is a no go?

Im thinking about taking out the foam and spraying some of that rubberized undercoating/sound deadener rattle can stuff and then redo the foam. This should hopefully take care of any corrosion issues... I just wish I would have thought of that before I sprayed like 20 cans into the car haha.

I cant remember where I read the article but some shop did a test where they jacked up the front corner of the vehicle prior to filling the rails with foam, measured the flex and then measured again after filling with the foam and there was like a 30% decrease in flex.. pretty minimal but in certain applications im sure anything helps!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
X2
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01BlueSS1995
X2
Have you guys ever heard of constructive criticism? If im gonna bash on someones car, id at least throw some ideas around.. smh..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sure, remove the tint curtain, and buy some different wheels. Those are my two ideas. Other than that, i like what youve done with the interior. Happy?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and this is probably in the wrong section considering this doesnt have to do with paint nor bodywork...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01BlueSS1995
Oh and this is probably in the wrong section considering this doesnt have to do with paint nor bodywork...
I was highlighting the paint on the headlights, tail lights and the dash... but ok, thanks.

I think that the head lights ruin the front end on the LS4 cars cuz they are imo, way to big and gaudy looking. So the eyelid was my attempt at making them appear smaller and giving them a more "sinister" look from the front, I had a real hard time trying to figure out how to run the lines though because of the way the head lights wrap around the corner of the car.. If I could figure out (or get some input besides "its ugly, its hideous" -which was my point) how to run the lines to make it transition into the car better I would most def redo them.

I appreciate your input though.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
As for the foam.. I don't know. I really like the blacked out trim and the front grill but I don't like the wheels. My .02. You don't see SS's much so I like it regardless because I know there is a lot of people who probably get wrecked and have no idea what hit em!
Lol that was the plan... its alot of fun smokin rwd muscle cars to have them pull back up next to me at the next light - "damn man what the hell is in that thing?" "its an ls4 v8" "whaaa i didnt even know those cars had v8's in them" lol
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

I drove a rental LTZ impala that was loaded up and that thing was fast, I swear to God I destroyed a N/A Porsche in San Diego on vacation. I almost died laughing when the guy did the ricer fly by looking all pissed off, right before my wife punched me.

I would delete the eyelids and just do a lite tint on the entire housing. As for the SS wheels, I would have kept them, they were the 10 spokes right?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
I drove a rental LTZ impala that was loaded up and that thing was fast, I swear to God I destroyed a N/A Porsche in San Diego on vacation. I almost died laughing when the guy did the ricer fly by looking all pissed off, right before my wife punched me.

I would delete the eyelids and just do a lite tint on the entire housing. As for the SS wheels, I would have kept them, they were the 10 spokes right?
Lol! I know how that goes, havin the wife in the car yelling the whole time.. thank God the exhaust droned out her voice for the most part. She is gone now though so I don't have to worry about that nonsense anymore!!

I like the tint idea.. is that legal though?

Here's a pic after the drop and before the wheels, factory SS wheels.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Not sure about the legality but I see it all the time. I wouldn't black them out, just tint them slightly. Also, these are the stock impala wheels I like. Look better in person IMO. I see what you are talking about with the SS wheels though, not a fan. Didn't look good on the cobalt either.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by critical.in.ga
Lol! I know how that goes, havin the wife in the car yelling the whole time.. thank God the exhaust droned out her voice for the most part. She is gone now though so I don't have to worry about that nonsense anymore!!

I like the tint idea.. is that legal though?

Here's a pic after the drop and before the wheels, factory SS wheels.

Car looked great like that! Doing stuff to a car in the easiest and cheapest manner is not always the best route to go. Young crowd does this a lot. I understand wanting to fix up the, but take the time and do it right.

Not saying your car looks bad, just looks like a little better procedure needs done for customizing it. The guys probably don't like the rims, because no one here likes "big" rims. To each there own. All in all the car looks good! As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

For god Sake please don't spray that stuff to stiffen up the ride, they have aftermarket suspension parts to do that. That is insane, if that ain't the cheap route, I don't know what is. Good luck with your project

Quick Reply: New pics of the Imp SS