Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Do any Camaro bumpers have this line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any Camaro bumpers have this line?

2000 Camaro SS. I bought a painted repo rear bumper cover as a temp fix. My original will be fixed, painted, and replaced, just don't know when.

So it showed up today and there are these lines about 2 inches from the wheel arch all the way down. They start out at the top raised, almost like flashing, As they go down the bumper they become little grooves and sort of a step. Like some other body panel is supposed to meet up there. They also didn't spray the inside like they assumed something else covers that area.

Nothing does on mine. It's smooth all the way around. I talked to someone and sent pictures. Waiting on him to call me back.

The molding inside says Camaro 93-98. Anyone seen this line before? Is it the wrong year? Is it a spot where body work should have been done before paint? I don't see why if the rest of the bumper is smooth. I cant seem to win with this car.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 93 doesn't have that. I would just sand it smooth.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember 2 of my Camaros specifically having that line. Both 98 Z28's. Only reason they stood out to me was because it bothered me when I would wash the car. Can't remember seeing it on my 02 SS though.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My '98 does not have that visable line/groove, and I'm 100% certain that it has the original bumper cover. My '02 doesn't have it either.

On the OEM bumper covers, you can see a slight bit of a contour in that area when seen at just the right angle/lighting, but there isn't ever a defined or easily visable line/groove like that.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
On the OEM bumper covers, you can see a slight bit of a contour in that area when seen at just the right angle/lighting, but there isn't ever a defined or easily visable line/groove like that.
Exactly, my 2000 does not have a visible groove showing like that. But, I have definitely seen what RPM is describing here at certain angles when washing the car.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My '98 does not have that visable line/groove, and I'm 100% certain that it has the original bumper cover. My '02 doesn't have it either.

Your correct.

I didn't have the car yesterday when I posted this but I knew it didn't have this groove. I picked it up last night and got a good look at it in the sun today. You can see the ridge at the top where my new one has flashing then the contour on down the bumper but it is smooth. No groove.

So it looks like there should have been some bodywork done on the bumper before painting. A little filling maybe and some sanding but they didn't do it.

I could have had a new bumper shipped to me for $160 or this one painted, ready to bolt on, for $300.

Guess I got screwed again. I wasted $140 on the paint and body work that needs redone.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

I just talked to the owner. He looked at my pictures and thought it was a very bad mold issue. He ordered a new bumper and he is going to look it over himself. If he thinks he can clean it up smooth, he'll have it done and sprayed then shipped out ASAP.

If not he's going to work something out with me to make this right. Back to waiting.

Quick Reply: Do any Camaro bumpers have this line?