Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Quick Berger mod question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick Berger mod question

I have a buddy who will do the mod for me for cheap as I don't particularly enjoy the idea of sanding and painting it myself, so I was wondering if it's ok to keep that panel off for a few days while he does the work. This is my DD so I need the car and I just want to make sure there's nothing back there that could be harmed if exposed to the elements. I'm at work now and without a 10mm wrench to take it off and check for myself, and if I'm safe then I'm going right to his place after work, so I kinda need to know between now and 4pm lol. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in order to take the panel off you need to remove the tailights because the panel holds the lights in place. If you put them back in I'm not sure how reliable that would be
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Launching!

I thought the tails were held in by anchor bolts and the plastic nuts that go through the sheetmetal in the hatch?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way to do it (what I did) was to buy a rear panel from a wrecked car and just krylon spray it. That's if you like the matte black look, as it won't be glossy. I didn't want to sand/prep/paint my SOM panel so that's why I went the other route.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Well I want mine to be glossy, which is why I'm having it professionally done. I just went out and took the pass side taillight off, and it looks like the tail should be good bolted up by itself, as the panel only kind of cradles it and doesn't appear to have anything to do with securing the light assembly to the car. So hopefully I won't have any issues.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't do it man, it's dumb looking and overplayed. Be different, keep it original.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Too late, already dropped the panel off. I happen to like the mod and don't think it's dumb looking, which is why I'm doing it. If I thought it was dumb looking I wouldn't be doing it ;-)

Anyways, I'm probably one of 3 cars in my entire area with it done, so if anything I'll be the different one ;-)

Also FWIW, the panel doesn't really do anything other than cover the trunk area. The lights are just fine without it, the only thing exposed is the wiring harness. But other than that I shouldn't run in to any problems until I can get the piece back.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1again
I thought the tails were held in by anchor bolts and the plastic nuts that go through the sheetmetal in the hatch?
They are but its going to look retarded
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Well you sure won't wrong about that Steve lol. It looks terrible, but it'll be worth it come Wednesday!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold a tail panel for 15the bucks lol,

Quick Reply: Quick Berger mod question