Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Self painted sleek, non-WS6 hood anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Self painted sleek, non-WS6 hood anyone?

Seeing if anyone has done this before? I have some rock chips & a couple of paint spots on it that need fixed. It's probably not worth it since I can pick up another black hood for like $150 with a great paint condition, but if that's the case it won't be a total loss if I screw it up. I might even pick up a cheap spray gun, if it turns out well I might even do the front bumper too. Maybe sand, prep, & primer everything then find a shop that will spray the paint & clear coat for cheap? Also I need to redo the mirrors on my car. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prep work is key. for the chips you need to sand down to the metal in that area.. if not the whole hood to prevent the paint from peeling up there later on... if the front bumper is spiderwebbed you need to sand down to the plastic and then into the plastic till the webbing is gone..
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the paint is not that bad and its only a few spots I would sand out only the areas that need it keeping the area as small as possible. Skim coat if needed, 2 k primer, blocksand, 2K etc till you like it. than buzz the hood with 600 - 800 with he DA, base and clear entire hood.

Quick Reply: Self painted sleek, non-WS6 hood anyone?