Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Accident in my new to me T/A. Worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please check car-part.com first. I'm sure you can find a nice fender and door to get. White has to be one of the easiest colors to find too.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear you are keeping her. Keep an eye out and check the sales ads here in Tech. You may want to post a wanted ad here yourself. Also, FWIW, I bought a bumper cover and fender from a great guy here and he shipped them on a bus to save money; worked out great!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Nathan- insurance in NYC is expensive enough with liability only. Whatever you're paying for full coverage, double it and that equals liability here.

Lt1- I'm fixing her.

Raleigh- Yeah that was the plan of attack as soon as this happened. Checked all possible firebird forums, ebay, car-part, called a few yards, and checked surrounding craigslist areas within 100 miles.

Yeah I've been through this with my 87 Fiero GT which is was way harder to get body panels for in the northeast

Unfortunately I can't post ads here cause I joined about a month ago and have well under 50 posts. I found a white door 60 miles away, picking it up tomorrow and taking the car to the shop after labor day. The fender still mounts up fine and is just cracked up at the top, so I will keep it on until I find a decent white fender down the line.

Thanks for all your help gents, pics to come when shes fixed up.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even if you have to rattle can the door and fender white for now, thats going to be better than leaving it a diff color.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Nathan C in fixing it to keep as they are pretty rare. Seems all over the East side of Knox people know me because they know the red Trans Am... there are only maybe 4 through all of Knoxville at most. Only 1-2 white ones like yours. I can't help with little parts BUT if you want a whole donor car may want to look at EasyExport.us. I haven't bought a car off them yet (Red WS6s are gold on there) but I have looked up reviews and they are what they say they are and people are pretty satisfied. That'd maybe give you the door, fender, interior, and maybe a newer motor and trans to boot. Look hard enough and watch the auctions a lot, may be able to get the whole car shipped to you for less than $1000.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Taking her to the shop tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for a job well done on the pillar and that everything is aligned properly in the end.

I'm having a white door from a V6 firebird installed, glass will be swapped with mine as its in better shape and already tinted. I suppose I will just debadge the donor door and my stock pass side one again. Its got a couple small defects, but it'll do for now. I'll need to keep my eye out for a fender, but the damaged one will do for the time being.

I plan on respraying her white, shes got a good number of rock chips on the bumper/hood/fenders so it makes no sense to just paint a door and fender now cause of this damage. I'd like to do the paint myself, maybe even get it done this fall.

I just want to drive her agian
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a minor hit. I'd fix it. Should defienatly not be more that 1000 for everything. Parts labor and paint.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

I just spent the last 2.5hrs trying to get her started and swapping batteries from my grand prix.

Its had an electrical drain since the accident, last week I jumped it and it fired right up. This morning I had the cables hooked up for 20 min and it wouldn't turn over at all, starter clicks one and thats all... So then I tried having my dad get me rolling with the grand prix pushing and clutch starting 4 times.... It refused to fire.

So I swapped batteries (holy crap its a pain in the *** in the gp...) cursing all the while, and the starter would click the same way as when it was being jumped.

I'm starting to get to my wits end with this car.

Quick Reply: Accident in my new to me T/A. Worth fixing?