Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

high spots on fiberglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high spots on fiberglass hood

Im in the process of getting my hood ready for paint.When i primed it all the spots that i had knocked down have left circles where the repairs were done.

It is a harwood 2.5 cowl fiber glass and i was wondering what is the best way to fix this
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sand till they are gone, prime again, sand again.. may have to do a few times till its all evened out. just make sure ur using high build primer.. some pics of what your talking about would deffinatly help
Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Default high spots on fiberglass hood

Im in the process of getting my hood ready for paint.When i primed it all the spots that i had knocked down have left circles where the repairs were done.

It is a harwood 2.5 cowl fiber glass and i was wondering what is the best way to fix this
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure what primer you used but if its not a high build then you will need to use a high build primer and then sand with a longboard to smooth everything out
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Probablythe best thing you can do is purchase a high build POLYESTER primer , such as evercoat slick sand. It has far less shrinkage than urethane primers & goes on thicker.You need a 2.2 tip to spray it, I redrilled the tip on a cheap harbor freight old style sprayer for this. It mixes with mekp hardner & must be sprayed immediately. once it sands out ok with no sand through spots, repeat with 2k primer.
I used this product on my custom bedcover & hood seen on my links. The hood was both custom reshaped & pieced back together after the inner & outer coming apart on the highway. Nearly 2 years later in florida's heat cycles, you have too look really close for a few shrinkage spots, without the polyester filler it would probably look pretty bad up close now.
Ps, my harwood hood is much straighter now than it was in 1999 after blocking the gelcoat & then the epoxy primer.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails high spots on fiberglass hood-2012-09-09_17-32-16_34.jpg  

Quick Reply: high spots on fiberglass hood