Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cracked door fiberglass, hinge area, fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cracked door fiberglass, hinge area, fixable?

I've seen this before on here, and unfortunately my door has it. The fiberglass behind and around the driver side door lower hinge is cracking. I can physically feel the door pop slightly due to flexing when opening and shutting it.

Below are some pictures of the damage. I can't tell if the crack travels behind the hinge to form one long crack. I can also watch the crack widen slightly when opening and closing.

Would a competent body shop be able to fix this? I'd take it there, but I need to slap some new tires on first since it's been sitting for a while. Or should I start shopping for a replacement door? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Would prob be cheaper to just buy a new door.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, really? I guess it's not a huge deal, since I'm having the entire car painted anyway.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The panel is SMC. With a high stress area like the hinge area I would go with that it's going to be hard to keep a repair in that area, but possible. With a shop doing it, buying a new door is more than likely cheaper. Going at it yourself it may be salvageable, but that depends on your skill-set to try bodywork.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a guy here who made a thread about repairing it with fiberglass. Do a search and it should come up. It'll give you a better idea on fixing it.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny
There was a guy here who made a thread about repairing it with fiberglass. Do a search and it should come up. It'll give you a better idea on fixing it.
I've seen that thread. I'm not a body guy by any means though, but I want the car done right. I plan on having quite a bit of body work and an entire respray done in the near future, but I was curious if it would be more cost effective to repair rather than replace. Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to start looking for a replacement door.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Would prob be cheaper to just buy a new door.

+1

This is what I did when I discovered mine was broke. Found another door for $100

Quick Reply: Cracked door fiberglass, hinge area, fixable?