Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

filling holes from rs kit spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default filling holes from rs kit spoiler.

just curious what is the best way to fill the holes in on the 1/4s from the rs spoiler, and if anyone has any writeups or pics of what they did.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure you need to weld the holes shut, and then use filler to get it smoothed out. Had the shop do mine when I had the car repainted. Looks way better with that thing off.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

i agree it looks better, that body kit is ugly as hell and im tired of looking at it.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get yourself some 16g metal. You can go to a scrap yard and find something for free. using some tin snips cut out a circle the size of a quarter. Then, use some 80 grit sandpaper and sand the inside edge of the hole to clean it up. Don't forget to grind down the surrounding area. Finally, with a grinder, smooth and shape the circle you cut out until you get it to the perfect size. The piece should fit real close on all sides. Now you can use a magnet to hold it in place until you tack weld it. Once you have 3 or 4 good tacks on there remove the magnet and keep tack welding until you get a complete weld. Remember to tack on opposite sides of the circle and allow a few seconds to cool down after every few tacks. This will help prevent over heating the metal and warping it. Once you're done welding take a grinder and level it all down. Use a 36 or 40 grit wheel to reduce the amount of heat you'll transfer to the metal. Once it's all smooth down go back and tack the little cracks or gaps you see. Grind again, being careful not to remove too much metal and you're done. Now grab yourself a straight edge and place it on top of your repaired spot. This will show you how level it is. If it's off by a little you can take a body hammer and dolly to straighten it out, just be careful not to hit to hard or you will break the welds. If it's straight enough you can skip this part and apply a skim coat of filler and begin the finishing process.

This is how I did mines and it came out great. Don't forget to block sand. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try it that way when I'm ready to do it. Did you paint it yourself when you finished?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to paint it this week. I'll be sure and post pics as I start painting. I have a thread that I'll refresh with updated info.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Briefly thought about this on my car, how many holes are there?? I'm guessing 2 per side on the quarters?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

There's 3 per side then the top part of the spoiler has to be taken off so the regular spoiler can get fixed or replaced because there's holes in that also.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
There's 3 per side then the top part of the spoiler has to be taken off so the regular spoiler can get fixed or replaced because there's holes in that also.
Thanks for the info!! I would replace the center with an SS spoiler anyway, but do think a Sunoco stripe would cover the holes without paint work to the OEM color? Thanks again! Larry.

Quick Reply: filling holes from rs kit spoiler.