Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I need a rear inner body panel! Someone help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a rear inner body panel! Someone help!

So for Christmas this year my mother decides to rearend my dad in her X5...who was driving MY 98 z28! Just finished putting around 15k into the car in the last 2 years, and just finished breaking in my new trans and rear Too much sentimental value to not fix, as my pops was the original owner. However, the body shop hit a brick wall when it came to fixing the rear inner body panel, and need a new one.

My pops and I, and the body shop Cannot find a rear inner body panel, part#12515662, which is required to fix the damage. It has been discontinued by GM, there is NO aftermarket piece, and I cannot find one Anywhere through any sources at the shop I work at, or salvage yards. No body shop will touch a used one I might have cut off of a scrapyard car, so I need to get a new one. So here I am to bring in the Big Guns, my fellow LSX compadres!

Does Anybody have, or have access to a new rear inner body panel? Or know anyone or anyplace that has one?

If you find one...I will drive to your house, kiss the ground you walk on, and hand you a case of your favorite beer, along with my dog, three cats, and my idiot mother!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Default Here is a Diagram of the Part

Here is a part diagram. In Section 1, it is the big piece in the middle
Attached Thumbnails I need a rear inner body panel! Someone help!-cd93520.gif  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 147 Posts

Have you tried Classic Industries?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I tried Year One and Classic Industries, both with no luck
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

find a salvage yard that has a totaled out f-body. take your sawz-all with you lol. Thats your only option is used! good luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Thats what I was planning on doing, the body shop is just giving me **** saying a used one cut out of a salvage yard is going to cause too many problems. I'm going to give all of us on Ls1tech another week or two to find a new one, then i'm going to insist the shop stop being panzies and use a salvage piece
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Teching In

http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/1998...icleid=1303524
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you need a new body shop. Its common to try to source new parts first, if they are not available they use salvage, I'm sure they do it all the time. In fact even your insurance will have a disclaimer that used parts may be used only if new parts are not available. They just don't want to mess with the adhesive, that stuff is a pia to get off without damaging the panel. When mine got rearended I got the whole back half of a car for $300, cut off in front of the b pillar, dropped off on a flat bed. Was cheaper than buying individual panels cuz noone wants to cut this stuff apart. Took what I needed and scrapped the rest for $75.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

It is common to use a recycled quarter panel or inner body panel when not available otherwise. A typical shop will ask for 2 hours cut/fit/trim time for a recycled panel/rocker. 3-4 hours for a quarter. Yes, they will damage the panel a little by drilling the spot welds. But they will be welding it back on anyways so it's no big deal. If the shop is unwilling to do it, find a new show. Body guys prefer not to use recycled panels. But after all, it is an OEM part. It is guaranteed to fit, just takes a little extra time to install.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

We use salvage 1/4 panels at work all the time. IMO they would be a bigger pain in the *** than a rear body panel. After all that's why shops have access to spec sheets. Corrosion protection on a used part ends up being a scapegoat from Tim to time though.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazlo
Sounds like you need a new body shop. Its common to try to source new parts first, if they are not available they use salvage, I'm sure they do it all the time. In fact even your insurance will have a disclaimer that used parts may be used only if new parts are not available. They just don't want to mess with the adhesive, that stuff is a pia to get off without damaging the panel. When mine got rearended I got the whole back half of a car for $300, cut off in front of the b pillar, dropped off on a flat bed. Was cheaper than buying individual panels cuz noone wants to cut this stuff apart. Took what I needed and scrapped the rest for $75.
Couldn't agree more - I just went through something similar this past summer. Try and find a quarter panel for the 4th gen F-Body 'vert locally.

Body shop found one off a theft recovery 2002. Car was stolen, drivetrain harvested out of it, and left for dead. So, I got a low mileage (allegedly anyway) "wreck-free" section of the car. The yards won't remove just that panel. They have cut sheets they work with the body shop on and will literally just cut out that section of the car and sell it.

If your body shop is pitching a fit about using a "harvested" piece, time to find a new shop. My body shop was very reluctant to obtain one from out of state as it couldn't be pre-inspected, but luckily at the last minute they located one locally. They had no qualms about removing a used piece from an assembly (they literally got like 1/4 of a Camaro shipped to them).
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Launching!

Update for those interested:

Took it to a different shop (http://bulldogrodcustom.com/) and not only were they able to take the rear inner body panel and somehow work it back into its original shape, they did the entire body job in under two weeks for under half the price of the other place! And holy SH*& did they do a fantastic job! And the cars they have in there are Unbelievably amazing, and all the work is done in-house. Recommend them to anyone around Downingtown, PA!

Quick Reply: I need a rear inner body panel! Someone help!