Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cracked windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield???

Ok I have a 01 camaro and my windshield is cracked bad and is right in my line of site i have a buddy that used to part out these cars and he has a good windshield he said he would give me for FREE. I was wondering how hard is it to replace the windshield in these cars???
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not easy if you dont have the tools and probably better left to a professional. Since you already have the glass Id call around and get some prices on labor to switch them out.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed my cracked windshield myself with nothing more than a sharp/strong putty knife and a hammer. Just be sure to remove all the trimming first. I messed up my trimming but that's because I wasn't planning on reusing them. Since the window is already damaged why not take a crack at doing it yourself...that's if you're up to it.

Now installing the window will need to be done carefully. I've never installed one...yet. I would make sure any old glue is off the good windshield and clean it with Windex prior to installing. Buy some good automotive window glue and put plenty of it on. Have a buddy help you put it on. Once on, put take to support the window and you're good.

This is my own opinion...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Personally, Id pay the $50 in labor.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most mobile window places will do everything for under 200$ and that includes a new windshield.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Launching!

I was thinking of doing it myself to give it a shot my car has never seen a shop and hopefully never will I fig what the hell cracked window and a free new/used one i wont hav much money in it to loose and learn something in the process. And hell worst comes to worst ill carry it to a shop and just buy a NEW one and let them install it.

Anyone else want to chime in on this and give me some pointers??
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

- remove both gutters over the doors by sliding them back.

- remove the cowl trim and flip the wipers up.

- remove rear view miror and mount.

- sharpen a small putty knife and cut the windshield urethane from the inside all the way around.

- push the glass out trying not to break it worse as it will drop glass dust in your car.

- clean the old windshield urethane out of the window frame making sure not to expose bare metal. Wipe the inside edge of the new glass with alcohol.

- apply a thick, even bead to the cleaned frame leaving no holes. Mine was a tube and a half. Windshield urethane is super thick so use a quality calking gun.

- have someone help you set the new glass. Make sure it seats all the way around. Use painters tape to secure the glass for 24 hours.

- reinstall your parts and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by BLK95-Z; 01-27-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: replaced "silicone" with "windshield urethane"
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Thanks man I will be trying this soon it doesn't seem to hard a lot of work but not to bad. I just need to find the time to get it done. Between work and working on another car it may be a few weeks before I get a chance I just like to research all I can before I dive in. But for sure I will let you know how it turns out!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Teching In

You need windshield urethane, not silicone. Cut the tip for the urethane and then put a V shaped notch in it to get a little more height on the bead. When you trim off the old urethane leave about 2mm of the old urethane on the car. Try not to cut into the factory finish and expose any bare metal. If you do you will need some windshield primer. Don't let sunlight hit the freshly cut urethane for any length of time as it will crystalize is and the new urethane won't stick to it. You can buy a cold knife cheap enough to cut the sides and top and use a long cake knife to cut the bottom, sharpen it though. You will need two people to set it in, it is a big windshield. Don't forget to buy a new windshield molding too.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reelmcoy
You need windshield urethane, not silicone.
Yes, windshield urethane. Thank you. This should be common sense though.

My list is just a small run down with no details. Someone should do a more in depth write-up.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield???