Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help!!!!!! painter says he's never seen this in 20 years SMH

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@redhotg8 he still needs to grind it as flush as possible. The bondo finally fused wiTh The spoiler wiThouT cracking and also it completely dried out before a wouldnt l dry it all! Finally some good news according to him this is the only thing holding him up
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bondo is designed to be used for a thin skim coat on imperfect body panels. It's not designed to fill in a transition between plastic body parts and a body panel. It doesn't matter that it's not cracked now, with the heating and cooling of the trunk lid and the spoiler from the sun and variances in outside temps it will crack I guarantee it. It's obvious the guy knows very little about body work and painting yet you are foolish enough to listen to him.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Bondo is designed to be used for a thin skim coat on imperfect body panels. It's not designed to fill in a transition between plastic body parts and a body panel. It doesn't matter that it's not cracked now, with the heating and cooling of the trunk lid and the spoiler from the sun and variances in outside temps it will crack I guarantee it. It's obvious the guy knows very little about body work and painting yet you are foolish enough to listen to him.
+1

Originally Posted by tommy2gunnz
@redhotg8 he still needs to grind it as flush as possible. The bondo finally fused wiTh The spoiler wiThouT cracking and also it completely dried out before a wouldnt l dry it all! Finally some good news according to him this is the only thing holding him up
Tell us all why you are still keeping your car at this guy, this is becoming anoying looking at this failure ruinning your car you need to report him too BBB take your car W/O paying him any money, pretty easy for you to fight this idiot on that. Tell him to go back to school.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Why did you flush up the rear bumper but not the front, Imo it actually COULD look good if done right, but you have to make the front match, and also the ground effects. It would make it way more sleak and a great "start" for something like the Texas Mile, where your aero comes into play. Just doing the back half like that though looks half assed to me...

**see what i did there?? **
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
i agree with u buddy.what you said is absolutely correct..laying that thick of bondo will crack.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I would have lost my cool a looooooooooooooooooooong time ago.....
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

strip it down and start over.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is absolutely hilarious.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
This thread is absolutely hilarious.
Lol right
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

I truly don't know anything about painting but I have asked a couple people who paint about the polyurethane situation & they said that yes you have to fiberglass and then put the bondo! I showed an actual video and they said that it is correct what he has recently done! As far As the front lip he's supposed to mod iT as well
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

My biggest issue with molding body panels is that your asking too much of the material used. Yes glassing it is the correct thing to do but in the end you are bonding panels together that have different expansion rates that the material you are using to fuse them. In the end even if its done properly it'll crack IMO.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, exactly, thats why you always see these hondas riding around with molded body kits with big gaping cracks in them. This painter obviously has no idea what hes doing. That entire job should have been a one month turn around even with all the custom ****. Your best bet is to get that car out of there and to a reputible shop.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody in this thread has already said it, and any of us with paint and body experience are trying to get it through your head, PULL THE PLUG! THIS WILL NOT, CAN NOT, POSSIBLY END WELL. Even if they pull a miracle and make it look good rolling out the door, it won't make it to the next block without coming apart. The car needs to be STRIPPED down to the original body panels, and START OVER.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I truly don't know anything about painting but I have asked a couple people who paint about the polyurethane situation & they said that yes you have to fiberglass and then put the bondo! I showed an actual video and they said that it is correct what he has recently done! As far As the front lip he's supposed to mod iT as well
That "Kitty hair" **** he's using is flippin garbage, and it's laid on top of previous bodywork. SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK! SHITTY WORK!

HEY OP.. I don't know if you get it or not, this guy does SHITTY WORK!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Holllllly ****...this is terrible. +1 to everyone else, pull the plug, report him and go somewhere that will do this right.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By the looks of the shop doing the painting and the way they are painting your car its clear they are not charging much at all... hence the reason you have not taken it to a REAL body shop.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

@ CO99Z28Vert the guy had a good shop originally. He's been having nothing but family sicknesses & deaths according to him! He basically begged me to let him make things right so I felt bad because it has it effected him financially as well! I just messed up by paying him upfront. Im an honest person & I expected for a shop to also do honest work! Trusting this guys is coming back to bite me in the behind big time! Never again
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
By the looks of the shop doing the painting and the way they are painting your car its clear they are not charging much at all... hence the reason you have not taken it to a REAL body shop.
I wonder if its actually OP doing this work and hes just feeding us a bunch of crap, which is why he maybe hasnt taken it to a different shop yet lmao, i wonder if hes gona let this guy actually finish this car so the painter can add it to his book of failures.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 895 Likes on 637 Posts

Wow. That's bad. So bad I don't know where to start. I'd love to see this car in 6-8 months when the paint/bondo dries or the first time you go over some train tracks.

Oh, and the reason the bondo never sat up correctly on the wing before is he probably forgot you had to put hardener in it.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@ CO99Z28Vert the guy had a good shop originally. He's been having nothing but family sicknesses & deaths according to him! He basically begged me to let him make things right so I felt bad because it has it effected him financially as well! I just messed up by paying him upfront. Im an honest person & I expected for a shop to also do honest work! Trusting this guys is coming back to bite me in the behind big time! Never again
If that is the case I understand where you are coming from... but man if it was my car I would never tell myself that in the end it will be fine because honestly your car is fucked no ways around it. As others said you will need to strip it all back off and start over the right way.
Just seems like a lost cause at this point but good luck man!

Quick Reply: Need help!!!!!! painter says he's never seen this in 20 years SMH