Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Job Challenge! need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job Challenge! need advice

Hey guys, im about to tackle my first paint job this weekend. I will start on the hood first to get some practice in but my friend will be helping and he's had some experience painting cars. I was wondering what you guys will think i will need(like what primer, paint, tools ex. what sand paper/etc.) also how much you think itll cost me overall? and does anyone know where i can get the stock white pearl color for a 1999 pontiac firebird? thanks alot guys.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirebirdDisciple
Hey guys, im about to tackle my first paint job this weekend. I will start on the hood first to get some practice in but my friend will be helping and he's had some experience painting cars. I was wondering what you guys will think i will need(like what primer, paint, tools ex. what sand paper/etc.) also how much you think itll cost me overall? and does anyone know where i can get the stock white pearl color for a 1999 pontiac firebird? thanks alot guys.
Why do you want to repaint the car? (what is wrong with the paint now?)
What are your expectations for the outcome?
If the paint and body are in good shape the least you would need is a sealer primer, basecoat and clear. Alot of prep work is needed for the paint to even look good and to last. Cheap Fast and Good.... Choose 2.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Teching In

The hood has some rust spots and the paint is chipped in many different places, the bumper and the side parts of the car(after the doors towards the front bumper) are discolored and chipped as well. It looks as if someone tried to repaint it and they used crap paint and it faded yellow. So i should just prep it down to the primer on the bumper and side parts and sand it down to the metal on the hood? thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

The chips should be sanded out. The area around the rust should be stripped to determine how bad the rust is. If the paint is good on any of the panels just a good cleaning and scuff will do for prep work. After the rust and chips are adressed you will probably want to use a high build dtm primer. Block sand the primed panels. Use sealer on the whole car and paint to follow
Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

i wouldnt start with the hood, practice somewhere else. thats the focal point of the car you want it to look right. sounds like you have a full weekend lol. good luck
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goodluck man post some pics ya dirty animal
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Paint expensive, quality tools make all the difference in the world, you have to pay attention to the very small details, never use less then 320grit on the final sand or you will have scratched, the hood and roof are the most important part of a paint job, it the first thing people see to get a impression of the quality

Quick Reply: Paint Job Challenge! need advice