Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody on this forum use Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my Vette to get the nose and hood repainted ..only because our dealership did a lot of business with them and they promised a great paint job. The first time around they used a single stage and it did not match and looked horrible. When I complained they used a base/clear but did not blend it so it did not match and had a bunch of trash in the paint. After weeks of arguing with them the owner's wife said "What do you expect you took your car to maaco". At that point I realized there was no point in trying to get them to fix it obviously they knew they suxed and were not willing to try and do a good job. That was a $1200 dollar lesson. I sanded and re sprayed the clear in my garage and it came out way better.

Last edited by LSCha0s; 05-28-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the last thing you want is ANOTHER crappy paint job over two previous crappy paint jobs. You need to pay to do it right at this point. if you dont want to spend money now and just get by for a couple years, just plastidip it for now and add their glossifier
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
the last thing you want is ANOTHER crappy paint job over two previous crappy paint jobs. You need to pay to do it right at this point. if you dont want to spend money now and just get by for a couple years, just plastidip it for now and add their glossifier
Yup, your paint job is only as good as the prep-work/surface underneath, If you get a crappy paint job you need to strip it next time around.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments don't bother with Maaco. As a auto/plane painter I would say if you have the money just take it to a well known body shop and pay to have it done correctly. If you insist on Maaco and decide this is worth the try...do the body work and ask plenty of questions. A good paint job depends solely on the prep.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its really down to the painters that work their, I remember about 2 years ago a friend of my dad took his truck to get painted in a MAACO here in town and the paint job came up pretty good. We were pretty surprised, but I still wouldnt take my vehicles to get painted cuz you really dont know how the job is gonna come out.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

plastidip - ricer or not , I'm sure it 'll be better than what it probably looks now.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a car painted at Maaco. Did all the prep work myself to avoid their upcharges. I think it came out to <$400. I give it a rating of "average."

Footnotes: It was a fox mustang and did not have to repair any dents. Opted to single stage white to hide the imperfections. If you're wanting a black paint job, it may not look that good. Black is a tough color to shoot and have it look good out of the gun.

I say it all depends on how much work you want to put in personally. If you can do the work to sand it down and prime it (you don't need to be a professional to throw some coats of primer on and sand it down), and possibly do some color sanding afterwards, you may come out the other end with a decent paintjob.

As an aside, my dad used to paint at Maaco around 10 years ago. He was between body shops and they offered a job so he took it. And he has a great resume with 3 magazine cars. It all depends on who's working there.

Most Maaco's do the bodyshop equivalent of taking the waterboy off the sidelines and making him quarterback. The painters there usually aren't as picky about their trade as one at an established place. I remember my dad telling me they were all about getting X number of cars painted on a given day, nothing else.

Another thing to think about is longevity. A $500 paint job might cost 25% as much as a reputable place, but it will last 10% as long.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Default I took my V8 S10 to maaco

I Did all the prep myself would have painted myself but always have bug problems .They put best clear coat system on , got it home color sanded and buffed painted flat black rally stripes, sold truck 8 years later still looked great that was the one in Florence Ky. just my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Mine was done at Maaco... Check the pics out in the thread "got the car painted! Check it out and give me some feed back" I've used Maaco before but this time they shocked me.. It turned out GREAT
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Launching!

I have used one several times (10+). You need to do some research- go to local Maaco shops and looks at their work.

I don't do the prep work but I do disassemble the car- only takes about two hours to pull lights, signals, mirrors, trim etc.

The shop I use does great work- as good as most mainstream shops in the area or better.

You need to make sure they buy name brand paint and look at other cars they have done. You can learn a lot from walking around their shop.

I figure that they get a huge discount on paint, have latest technology booth (some places) and do it day in / day out. While I like body work and would like to paint it myself I usually find they do a better job for less $$ than if I did it myself.

Just remember- you are the project manager. Stop buy, follow up- before they paint it make sure they have all the pieces, etc.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Also- each location is a franchise so one can be run completely different than another Maaco shop down the street.

Just go talk to the owners and see if you feel comfortable.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Also- each location is a franchise so one can be run completely different than another Maaco shop down the street.

Just go talk to the owners and see if you feel comfortable.
What he said. If the guy at the counter that's giving you the quote starts giving you a hard time and trying to sell you a different package then ask for the owner/manager.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Def will vary by location. I know back home in Chicago there is a Macco near the race track that paints race cars all day long and has real good painters, others just say heres a spray gun go lay down some paint.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Here is a pic of the TA I just had painted at my friends Maaco:

Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

1965gp,

I saw a beautiful old TA like in the picture above with a nice looking navy blue 4th gen TA right behind it today on I-70 in Missouri today......was it you by chance?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1965GP
I have used one several times (10+). You need to do some research- go to local Maaco shops and looks at their work.

I don't do the prep work but I do disassemble the car- only takes about two hours to pull lights, signals, mirrors, trim etc.

The shop I use does great work- as good as most mainstream shops in the area or better.

You need to make sure they buy name brand paint and look at other cars they have done. You can learn a lot from walking around their shop.

I figure that they get a huge discount on paint, have latest technology booth (some places) and do it day in / day out. While I like body work and would like to paint it myself I usually find they do a better job for less $$ than if I did it myself.

Just remember- you are the project manager. Stop buy, follow up- before they paint it make sure they have all the pieces, etc.
I was told Maco uses their on paint only..I guess if u know someone who owns a Maco shop they would put the paint u bought and put the best prep job and sprayer on your vehicle....JMO...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I accidently posted in the wrong section but here is the thread I just started about my Maaco paintjob that was done last week

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-paintjob.html
Old 07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1559
I accidently posted in the wrong section but here is the thread I just started about my Maaco paintjob that was done last week

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-paintjob.html
Single stage black..GL with that. Most cheap paint jobs may look good at first but will peel or wont last as long. The good materials cost money.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I was 16 I had a 84 Camaro for my 1st car. Some old man hit me and I had Maaco fix the car. Boy did they F- that car up. Painted right over the pin-striping and paint all over the tires...so much orange peel, I thought I was looking at fruit salad! I wouldn't let Maaco paint my wheelbarrow

Quick Reply: Anybody on this forum use Maaco?