Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Why did my painted LS6 manifold's paint crack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
soooo, in your pics im seeing alcohol and a 3M box. guessing thats 3M adhesion promoter wipes?
No, it's the 3m Plastic Repair that I used to fill the casting marks on the top. Alcohol was just used to wipe down before the plastic filler went on the casting marks.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to find a product that is for cleaning plastics. the mold release agent that is in the plastic needs to be properly cleaned. and washing with dawn and water or a wax and grease remover wont do this properly. I use a product from bulldog that is a abrasive cleaner. use a red scotchbrite and the bumper abrasive cleaner and water. thoroughly scuff with this product. if you feel you didn't do it enough then do it a second time. also a wax and grease remover wont thoroughly dry on plastic because it is porous. so use the abrasive cleaner and water. then use compressed air to dry it. then use a tack rag and then primer and paint. I paint a lot of plastics and this is the recommended method by most paint companies when painting raw plastics... here is the product I use. http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=270
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
you need to find a product that is for cleaning plastics. the mold release agent that is in the plastic needs to be properly cleaned. and washing with dawn and water or a wax and grease remover wont do this properly. I use a product from bulldog that is a abrasive cleaner. use a red scotchbrite and the bumper abrasive cleaner and water. thoroughly scuff with this product. if you feel you didn't do it enough then do it a second time. also a wax and grease remover wont thoroughly dry on plastic because it is porous. so use the abrasive cleaner and water. then use compressed air to dry it. then use a tack rag and then primer and paint. I paint a lot of plastics and this is the recommended method by most paint companies when painting raw plastics... here is the product I use. http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=270
I believev I did that man. The SEM soap is exactly how you described it, a paste with abrasives in it and i put it on a red scotchbrite to scrub the manifold. I just washed with dawn after to remove the little grits left behind. This is why im confused, as i believe i took all the precationary steps. The sem soap is in one of the pictures on the right hand side in a tube. Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your right. I didn't notice you say that. only thing I could maybe say is a flex additive would maybe be a good idea from maybe the plastic expanding and contracting from heat. rather then that you followed everything perfect and used good product. kinda sucks but sand it down and re do it. its kinda part of painting having some things not turn out perfect and have to sand it all off. I would just 180 it most of the way down then 320 the rest of the way

Quick Reply: Why did my painted LS6 manifold's paint crack?