Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Why is my SS hood/spoiler a different color?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why is my SS hood/spoiler a different color?

I have a '99 HOSS and the hood and spoiler are a bit darker than the rest of the body. why? And yes it is a real SS, not an added on hood/spoiler with mismatched paint
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is 14 years old, one of the previous owners could of had it repainted and did not have it blended?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I was under the impression that this was normal as the rest of the body was sprayed in St Therese, but the spoiler and hood were sprayed elsewhere by SLP.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC5811
I have a '99 HOSS and the hood and spoiler are a bit darker than the rest of the body. why? And yes it is a real SS, not an added on hood/spoiler with mismatched paint
The trouble is, even a real SS is just an added on spoiler and hood painted separately from the car. The only difference between a "real" SS and a "fake" one is that the hood and spoiler for the original SS were painted and installed by SLP before the car was shipped to the dealer. Either way, your hood/spoiler were not painted on the GM assembly line with the rest of the car, and as these cars get older it seems to be common that the hood/spoiler paint on the SS models doesn't quite match the rest of the body (different fade rate I guess?). Hugger Orange seems to be one of the more noticeable color examples, unfortunetly.

Quick Reply: Why is my SS hood/spoiler a different color?