Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rough edges on new gm oem bumper for camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for letting me know they can sand and fix flaws. I am going to try to deal with State Farm again on my car next week. I am mainly concerned now with finding a bumper that is straight and no damage. They don't want to spend extra time to make it right ie flaws pin holes rough edges but I am goin to talk to State Farm about this cause I think if I paid myself I would get treated better than being an ins customer. Hate my old bumper got scraped up by them or u would just out it back on the car. All that was wrong was paint chips and if I had known I would have insisted my bumper be fixed or I come get my car. Now the bumper I have has more things wrong than I had when I went to them.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
I think a lot of the OEM bumpers (and other body parts)that are still in the GM parts circulation for 4th gens are getting close to the bottom of the barrel in quality. I would bet a lot of the rough body parts circulating now were bought and returned when the 4th gens were new. The 'good' ones were used up and now all that left is the crappy rejects of 10 years ago. I went throught 3 GM dealer fenders for my 98 before I got a decent one and even that needed a little TLC.
The same thing happened with 1st gen camaro parts in the mid to late 80's. I have seen people pay top dollar for NOS 1st gen quarter panels that were still floating around in the 90's that were in worse shape than repops.
Even I would rather use a good fitting aftermarket part than a crap fitting OEM part and I am pretty picky on using OEM parts.
I got one of the very last front bumper covers for my 89 T/A from GM and its quality was very poor.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have not got this bumper resolved on my car. I went to look at another one and it was better but off a little same side but it might be okay hard to tell withit not being on my car. That should be the body shop's deal to check it out. I am talking to State Farm and they are moving so slow. They say I should not have to pick out my own bumper. The dealer can still order more bumpers to check out. I am waitin for an inspector to come look. This bumper at the dealer has the casting material on the edges and they will need to sand that off it it will be rough. I don't understand why the body shop can't sand my old bumper completely and use it but they claim the spiderwebbing may come back even though it was only in the paint and very minor. The ins. Co. Even suggested I take a man with me. That seems crazy since I know my car and how it should look.

Quick Reply: Rough edges on new gm oem bumper for camaro