Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New Paint - Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013 | 10:04 AM
Launching!

Default New Paint - Issues

When I bought my car it had fresh SOM paint and it was nearly perfect other than a few minor imperfections. I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing or if the paint is very proned to chipping but I've got about 10 small paint chips on the hood. I've got a few on the front bumper but those are much less noticable.

Just wondering if this is typical...? The paint is less than a year old, I always keep a coat of wax on the car, and I don't tailgate. Also, I've never seen a factory SOM car before but from what I can tell this is not GM SOM, I'm guessing it's some other SOM variation because GM SOM has more red in it while this is more orangish. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-11-2013 | 12:56 PM
On The Tree

there are a ton of reasons for paint to chip. if its been repainted it could just not have enough clear on it or was not prepped exactly right. or just a cheap product used on it. are the chips getting any bigger?
Old 08-11-2013 | 01:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3gensoffs
there are a ton of reasons for paint to chip. if its been repainted it could just not have enough clear on it or was not prepped exactly right. or just a cheap product used on it. are the chips getting any bigger?
They don't seem to be but Im slowly getting more and more chips. Anything I can do to prevent additional chipping?
Old 08-11-2013 | 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3gensoffs
Like 3gen said there are tons of reasons why your getting chips . Maybe a light sanding with 2000 grit and a few heavy coats of clear after touching up the chips . If you have touch up paint use a fine tip brush like a pinstrip brush to lighting dab paint into the chips

When i wet sand and buff out fresh clear as long as it went on good i dont sand the bottoms of the doors ( if its a show job thats different ) to let as much clear on as possible to help prevent chipping but i do buff the whole car

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-11-2013 | 05:44 PM
On The Tree

as far as preventing chipping any more you can have that clear protective wrap put on but for the money your just as well off to re-clear the hood and bumper. you can touch the spots up and re-clear or just have them feather the chips and put some color there. most of the time just touching up will leave a dark spot. just tell the shop to do 3 coats of clear.

Quick Reply: New Paint - Issues