Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
$300.

All the prices I saw around me were from $250-500.
Sounds fair, did you go to a pick and pull and had to do it yourself or they did it for you?

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Sounds very fair. I've personally never replaced a roof on one of these cars Id be interested in seeing it done. Keep us updated
This!!! Please keep us updated will need to do this myself in the future!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport4life
Sounds fair, did you go to a pick and pull and had to do it yourself or they did it for you?
I'm going to assume that from his price that the yard pulled it for him. Most pick and pull places charge under $100 for a roof since you have to do the labor to pull it yourself. My local pick and pull yard allows the use of a cordless sawzall, but not a cut off wheel since the cutoff wheel throws sparks and that can light the whole place up.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Hope the roof comes off in one piece OK for you.
Thanks. I started picking at it today, the roof part is separated, now I have to get the sail panel glue cut.

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I'm going to assume that from his price that the yard pulled it for him. Most pick and pull places charge under $100 for a roof since you have to do the labor to pull it yourself. My local pick and pull yard allows the use of a cordless sawzall, but not a cut off wheel since the cutoff wheel throws sparks and that can light the whole place up.
Yup, I picked it up the way it is in those pictures. They did all the cutting(although I did remove some more material when I got it back to my shop). Honestly I'd pay the extra to be able to take it back to my shop and have all my tools right there instead of fighting with it in the middle of a salvage yard. Maybe if I had a couple roofs under my belt and knew how to attack it better I'd think differently. There was one yard that said he'd sell it for $100 shipped but never called me back...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Where are you located? Did all of the salvage yards offer to have the roofs cut off for you? Did your request seem odd to them? I was quoted $250 by a local member but I had to remove the roof myself. I don't want to bother with that if I can find a salvage yard to do it for me for about that price!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperSport4life
Where are you located? Did all of the salvage yards offer to have the roofs cut off for you? Did your request seem odd to them? I was quoted $250 by a local member but I had to remove the roof myself. I don't want to bother with that if I can find a salvage yard to do it for me for about that price!
I'm in central Jersey.

Check out car-parts.com. I found 5 pages of 4th gens with hardtops; from 15 to 250 miles from me. The couple salvage yards I called didn't act like it was a problem at all. The one I went with had the best customer service and worked with me over the phone as to where exactly I wanted it cut. If you'd like their info I can PM you it, not sure if they have any more hardtops though or how far they are from you. I'd definitely deal with them again though.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Good luck with this roof hopefully these doesn't happen to my 98
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
Good luck with this roof hopefully these doesn't happen to my 98
What is your build date?

If it's 05/98 or later, then you're at risk. Though some people with later '98s were lucky enough to receive roof panels that were still prepped in the older, proper method.

If it's an early or mid-year '98, then you should be fine.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the roof off and all the urethane removed from the underside. With the right tools it wasn't too bad. The windshield guy who comes in helped me out. We used his air tool but got it mostly off with the two handles and piano wire. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to cut the roof off of my car. I don't see a reason to try and be neat with it when it's just going to be junked anyway. Hopefully going to sand it down and have it primed by the end of the week.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you reglue it to your roof I'd be tempted to seal the underside again, you know, just in case!!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good thread. I need to find a roof for my dad's 02 hard top.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to see your getting it fixed right. So many fight this and fight it and fight it until finally giving in and fixing it correctly. My car is perfect except for the dumb bubbly roof, it is very aggravating.

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
actually, i think there may be a way (albeit difficult and probably pretty costly to have someone else do it for you) to fix it from the top.

===============================
step 1 would be to get it sanded, primed, and coated with a couple coats of epoxy sealer that won't allow any more reaction to continue up beyond this coat. this step is just to get to a sealed & smooth starting point

step 2 would be to lightly scuff up the top layer of the epoxy coat, then lay down a layer or 2 of thin fiberglass mat & epoxy resin. this layer would form a structure of sorts (kind of like putting a "helmet" on the roof) to prevent bubbles from being able to push their way through, and since it will be chemically separated from the compromised underlying fiberglass, it won't be eaten up by the glue and suffer the same fate.

step 3 would be to lightly sand & smooth out the top layer of the fiberglass mat layer, then prime/paint/clearcoat
===============================

this way, you would not have to worry about removing anything (twice, once on your car, and once on the donor), and the top would end up being a bit stronger, too

this is just a theory, though....i'm not sure how it would actually end up in practice, and i certainly don't have the money or the time & necessary skills to try to tackle this on my own....but if it does work, it would definitely be a bit more of an accessible fix, not having to rely on availability of a donor car

thoughts?
Answering this is a bit redundant since the OP chose his method of correcting the problem. But, its a good question to answer anyways because none of those methods would work. Think of it like a garage floor with a moisture problem, there is not anything on earth that will prohibit having issues with even the most durable coatings if the the moisture is coming through the concrete. Same deal with the epoxy on top. Yea it will seal it on top, but the gas will still bubble the roof trying to escape.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I also picked up a replacement roof off of a '94 camaro. Got it off craigslist, the guy cut it off his car just like yours for $50. I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to remove the skin my self, or have a shop do it (who has had proven results). The shop quoted me $1,018 to remove both roof skins, paint the one off the '94, and install it on my Formula. I was quoted at $600 with no paint.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Before you reglue it to your roof I'd be tempted to seal the underside again, you know, just in case!!
I am planning on following the TSB which states to prime the under side as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started to prep the 'new' panel and got my original roof off tonight. Was pretty nerve racking but not overly difficult. Even though it was bubbling it was still weird cutting into a freshly painted roof. I think the hard part is done now, just gotta finishing prepping the roof and paint it...

I made an outline on the roof to give me lines to follow. I also had the roof frame from the donor car beside my car as a reference. Another reason why it was nice getting the whole roof assembly.

I test fit the new roof, it went on pretty easily. I'm hoping I can install the windshield molding, paint the roof and slide it on like the TSB says.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

The top of the roof is prepped and primed...

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great man. Does the roof just sit on there and get glued down or is it held on by something else?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Looks great man. Does the roof just sit on there and get glued down or is it held on by something else?
Just the urethane holds it down.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got it painted...

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good. I'm lucky my '02 Z28 had it redone from GM with the new fix for it....
Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Man awesome work going thru with this fix. Luckily on my 02T/A i only have the sail to worry about and even that has a few bubbles.

Quick Reply: Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*