Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

rino line, Line-X ect..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rino line, Line-X ect..

Just thought about this.. so new cars come from factory with an under coating to protect against salt chemicals ect. Well unfortunately our beloved F-Bodies didn't..

Here is a thought and I want to hear some feed back from someone who has thought of it or done it ore what ever just some input haha.

What if, for example, I rhino, or line-x'd the underside of my car. Of course I would have to roll it on but wouldn't it protect against rust, salt, and all the bad things the car devil puts in this earth to betray our car gods? Haha
Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Well your biggest enemy is going to be the added wheight. Im not sure how much more wheight your going to look at but it wont help. They make coating in spray cans that are like paint so you dont add a bunch of wheight. IMO i would consider different options.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Well your biggest enemy is going to be the added wheight. Im not sure how much more wheight your going to look at but it wont help. They make coating in spray cans that are like paint so you dont add a bunch of wheight. IMO i would consider different options.
Never new rhat, I'm not conserned to much with weight I don't race. Other then highway pulls. But other then that I don't do much. Would the bed liner act as a sound deadener?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer

Never new rhat, I'm not conserned to much with weight I don't race. Other then highway pulls. But other then that I don't do much. Would the bed liner act as a sound deadener?
That i dont know. I dont think so, it might muffle it a little. Ive only sprayed truck beds with the stuff. You should also look up POR we used to spray that stuff on chassis's and other things
Old 10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

All autoparts stores sell undercoating and rubberized undercoating in spray cans, this is similiar to what is used in bed coatings just much thinner in application. Also there is a specific undercoating that is sold by the gallon for "roll on" applications that is said to help with sound, but I bet they all wood provided you get the right thickness level, go to the Stereo & Electronics section of the forum and search for sound deadeners and read through the threads till you find the one that talks about undercoating.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Launching!

I am putting U-Pol Raptor spray on liner on the bottom of my t/a drag project for ease of clean up. I bet it will add around 10 pounds of extra weight, but I bet I have remove that much in road grime/wheel well coating/and seam sealer. You don't get a thick build up like a true spray on bed liner.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SecondSkinAudio has their Spectrum and Spectrum Sludge coatings that I'd recommend taking a look at.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ctjohns
I am putting U-Pol Raptor spray on liner on the bottom of my t/a drag project for ease of clean up. I bet it will add around 10 pounds of extra weight, but I bet I have remove that much in road grime/wheel well coating/and seam sealer. You don't get a thick build up like a true spray on bed liner.
Yea the U-Pol stuff is really nice it makes sense to use that. Those bed liners i just woudnt use for anything other than beds.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember seeing a first generation Chevy Nova being totally re-done as a "project car", in some car magazine a LONG time ago. Since the car was destined to be a "driver", and they didn't want their $$$ car's underbody getting beat up, they sprayed the underside of the body with bed liner, tinted to somewhat match the car's overall finish. Since the car was on a rotisserie, and the metal was clean and fresh, it turned out pretty good.

To the OP, I used to rustproof cars back in the early 80s, for a little extra pocket money. People back then were still buying rather than leasing, and they wanted their cars to last, since we're in the "rust belt". Most cars do not come from the factory with undercoating. The major downside to undercoating is that over time, most undercoating products will dry out, harden up, and stop flexing as the car does. Moisture will creep in the small cracks, and then start rusting the car.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into some chassis paint like por 15, or somethings thats an isolator/inhibitor
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The weight it adds is minimal and the trade off in reduced road noise corrosion protection etc is worth every bit. Especially road noise is dramatically reduced I've taken several f-bodies through the years and had them spray line-X inside and out. Unless you are racing the damm thing and every ounce counts you will never notice the added weight on a daily driver. A sub box and amps weighs twice what any spray on liner material does.

Roll on liner stuff is crap. If you have the motor and trans out taking it to a company and getting it sprayed is the best method for a reliable prep and spray job that will stick.

Quick Reply: rino line, Line-X ect..