Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood

Hello everyone I picked this hood up locally and I am repairing it and gonna put it up for sale, it came with a firehawk airbox that was the reason I bought the package the hood was just a bonsus because I already have a oem ws6 car. But before I do I dont want to false advertise, I cant tell wether this one is oem or aftermarket. It fits just as well as my oem and weights the same. I have had a aftermarket one before on my old car it was horrible and feather light compared to this one. I almost think this is a firehawk hood because of the box and it looks slighty rounded but I cant tell. I need some opinons, sorry about the hood being dirty I am in the process of cleaning it up and spot filling to prime it. The grills have been trimmed from the outside so I couldnt tell if the oem girlls would fit. In the last picture I removed the grill on the inside and took a pic of what it looks like behind the nostrils.
Attached Thumbnails Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-1.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-2.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-3.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-4.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-5.jpg  

Old 03-08-2014, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Default More pics

More pics and pics of behind air ducts.
Attached Thumbnails Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-6.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-7.jpg   Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-8.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hard to tell... some looks factory, other spots don't... those nostril openings look rough as hell compared to mine; and I don't remember rivets next to the hinges (although it's been a while since I've looked).
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Yeah theres where im stuck. Some dumb $$$ messed with the nostrils so you cant tell if the oem grills will fit and rivets stump me. But it feels the same as my hood material wise on top and weights the same also i have read the center part behind the square where air intake seals. On aftermarket has à very prominet line where oem doesnt just like this one. Im stumped.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

To me it looks very close, but their are some subtle differences I can see. 1 is in the area to the left of the latch the OEM hood has 3 small slots in triangular pattern. To right of the striker the OEM has 2 slots. In the coves, all the stock hoods Ive seen have a step around the perimeter, its not a smooth transition and the aftermarket hoods Ive seen DO have the smooth transition there. Those 2 areas there would convince me its an aftermarket. Im not sure how to distinguish this, but the stock ram air and ss hoods are made from SMC. Most aftermarket hoods are made out of traditional fiberglass.

Find a area that isnt painted like on the inside of the airbox area. SMC is feels smooth on the underside. With traditional fiberglass you can feel the texture of the fibers.

Areas in red are where Im referring to.
Attached Thumbnails Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-hood-5.jpg  

Last edited by LT4vert; 03-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure mine is aftermarket. I bought it that way but looking at your under hood pics it looks a lot different than mine. Wish I had a pic under the hood for you.
Attached Thumbnails Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood-finished4.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Curious of what you found out and if you are selling this and how much?

Quick Reply: Need help telling if oem or aftermarket Lt1 Trans am WS6 Ram air hood