Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need some opinions on this ish...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meckster

It not just something you buy and slap on. The rear quarter is a structural part of the vehicle and welded on. It takes a bodyman with extensive experience to handle a job like that. Trust me I am one myself. Real amatuar work there with the holes. Obviously the guy didn't care about further destroying the metal.

I'm kind of in the same boat myself. My rear quarter had a shotty repair done and I'm looking to replace it at some point if I can find a good donor car at some point.

And FYI on carfax. The only stuff that shows up on carfax is insurance claims. If someone wrecks their car and doesn't go through insurance and a claim is never made, its not going to show up on carfax. Carfax is a third party company that basicly helps the public get an idea on the history of the car, but its never 100%.
If I was to replace the rear quarter I certainly would not do it myself which is why I asked. I also know about the carfax was just stating that the carfax wouldnt tell me this happened. Anyways ill probably just bondo it is my thought unless anyone objects to that. Just want to get some paint on it next year and have it look good, its by no mean a low mileage show car but it still has to look good.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
If I was to replace the rear quarter I certainly would not do it myself which is why I asked. I also know about the carfax was just stating that the carfax wouldnt tell me this happened. Anyways ill probably just bondo it is my thought unless anyone objects to that. Just want to get some paint on it next year and have it look good, its by no mean a low mileage show car but it still has to look good.
It all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. Personally I wouldn't replace a quarter panel for that. Just weld the holes shut and use a stud gun to pop out and straighten it. Then use filler... (body techs HATE the word bondo). I would see if you can gain enough access behind the panel through the interior to then put some corrosion protection behind it as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

It all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. Personally I wouldn't replace a quarter panel for that. Just weld the holes shut and use a stud gun to pop out and straighten it. Then use filler... (body techs HATE the word bondo). I would see if you can gain enough access behind the panel through the interior to then put some corrosion protection behind it as well.
alright thanks for the advice, i might see what i can do myself and then have an autobody guy i know do the rest. I have no welder so can't weld the holes shut but i will certainly try to pull it some more.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

(body techs HATE the word bondo).

Yep.....lol
Old 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

What would be a good brand of filler? Out of curiousity if I attempt to tackle it myself. ive read the cheap stuff falls apart, so im guessing that would be the stuff sold at walmart.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

What would be a good brand of filler? Out of curiousity if I attempt to tackle it myself. ive read the cheap stuff falls apart, so im guessing that would be the stuff sold at walmart.
Evercoat Rage Gold..... Best body filler on the market today. Depending on where you get it, it runs $30-$40 a gallon. Evercoat makes excellent filler products.

Body techs hate the word bondo because its a cheap *** filler that is prone to pin holes and shrinkage. You see a lot of amateurs using it because they don't know any better. Because of this people refer to bodywork as bondo-ing a panel. Ugh... bondo isn't a verb.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Well that would be me an ametuer haha. This is why I ask questions first because I was just going to pick up the walmart bondo, and have always called it bondo,. Now I realize thats just the brand so I will refer to it as filler from now on haha. So I suppose ill try and get that dent pulled better and put some good filler over it. Any advice for using filler?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well that would be me an ametuer haha. This is why I ask questions first because I was just going to pick up the walmart bondo, and have always called it bondo,. Now I realize thats just the brand so I will refer to it as filler from now on haha. So I suppose ill try and get that dent pulled better and put some good filler over it. Any advice for using filler?
Its kind of a hard thing to explain through text. I've been doing it for over ten years professionally. I just looked and there are a bunch of tutorial videos on youtube you can check out. Thats my best advice. If you were actually standing in front of me I would have no problem teaching you, haha.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use z-grip. Get it locally for about $21 a gallon
Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
I use z-grip. Get it locally for about $21 a gallon
Thats probably more my price range. Any ideas on the engine bay area? Shouldni sand it down smiith and paint it? The black paint is all texturey.

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on this ish...