Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting ls6 intake... questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting ls6 intake... questions

just picked up an ls6 intake off a forum member, had some questions about the rattle can process. read through a few write ups, and I have an idea of sanding and when to. haven't really sprayed much, but think I have a concept on correct layering and such.
now on to my questions.

1. I plan on using an adhesion promoter. I figure 1-2 fairly light layers should do. but how soon after that can I start spraying the primer?
2. after I get the last layer of primer on, I'm assuming that I let that dry for 24 hours before I lay on the base coat?
3. color choice, I get it is all personal choice, but my z is arctic white, and I am kind of interested in doing a gloss white intake. I haven't been able to find a picture to see if it actually looks good in the bay or if I should do black or charcoal.
4. I'm no professional but it seems as long as I don't completely botch it, I can get a glass finish. for those that have painted there intake light/bright colors, does dirt stick to it easy? or is it easy to clean.
5. bonus question, can you pull off the center console and sand it and paint it?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Since I paint cars for a living, here is what I did.

1. cleaned intake from all oil, dirt or whatever is on it.
2. used wax/grease remover to get rid of any residue that was left behind from whatever chemical you used to clean with.
3. sprayed 2 layers of adhesion promoter
4. waited 15 mins to dry, then sprayed base coat.
5. waited another 15 to dry then sprayed clear coat.
6. waited 8 hours before I installed it. then, you sir, are finished.

Now I could have sprayed primer if I wanted it to be a flawless smooth finish (if so, wait at least an hour before you sand the primer before you spray the base coat) but I didnt see myself putting that much effort into it this time around. I really liked how it turned out. Hope all goes well!
Attached Thumbnails painting ls6 intake... questions-20140115_140211.jpg   painting ls6 intake... questions-20140115_152828.jpg   painting ls6 intake... questions-20140228_175712.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

This makes me want to paint my intake!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

I painted my ls6 intake about a month ago. Using the same steps listed above.
Attached Thumbnails painting ls6 intake... questions-image-1401150383.jpg   painting ls6 intake... questions-image-3636850344.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IDSTAR2
Since I paint cars for a living, here is what I did.

1. cleaned intake from all oil, dirt or whatever is on it.
2. used wax/grease remover to get rid of any residue that was left behind from whatever chemical you used to clean with.
3. sprayed 2 layers of adhesion promoter
4. waited 15 mins to dry, then sprayed base coat.
5. waited another 15 to dry then sprayed clear coat.
6. waited 8 hours before I installed it. then, you sir, are finished.

Now I could have sprayed primer if I wanted it to be a flawless smooth finish (if so, wait at least an hour before you sand the primer before you spray the base coat) but I didnt see myself putting that much effort into it this time around. I really liked how it turned out. Hope all goes well!
I pretty much did this route except I used primer also.

If you search for painting ls6 intake a few threads come up with different processes

Quick Reply: painting ls6 intake... questions