Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Deer...hidden damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deer...hidden damage?

I was out cruising home tonight, having taken my 02 T/A WS6 out of the garage because it'd been a while, was nice out, and had rained for the last couple days, so roads should be clean (no salt).

On the way home, a deer shot out from the left hand side of the road. I wasn't going more than 40~45, hit the brakes and triggered ABS, but still bumped it it in the hind quarter on my right front.

It didn't feel like anything, and I didn't hear much (but the stereo was up quite loud).

I pulled over under a light to look. I saw the right driving/fog light was not working. So the impact was enough to at least blow that bulb (possibly more/something else). But I can't see any deformation or cracks or any other signs of damage.

I checked at another store with more lights, then again at home in my garage, and I just can't see anything - it looks symmetrical and non-deformed. Feels ok too. But I guess I can't know until it's out in the sun.

I'm assuming the noses are flexible. And perhaps it was the right set of conditions (slow speed, light deer, glancing blow, etc) to allow me to 'get away with one', as it were. But I wanted to ask if there is any potential (or likely) hidden damage behind the fascia?

Anybody else go through anything similar and then have the nose off? What is involved in getting the nose off?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I work in a salvage yard and we get in 20-40 cars per day so I see lots of damaged vehicles. If you don't see any damage on the exterior then you likely got lucky, It doesn't take much impact to crack paint when the nose is hit. I'm not 100% sure on the T/A but most cars have a impact absorbing foam behind the nose and you would see paint issues before you do any permanent damage to the foam or the structure beyond that.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 12-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

I clipped one several months ago under very similar circumstances, on mine it pushed the headlight cover up and likely bent the bracket at the front fender to bumper location, I haven't got all the way in to confirm.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I work in a salvage yard and we get in 20-40 cars per day so I see lots of damaged vehicles. If you don't see any damage on the exterior then you likely got lucky, It doesn't take much impact to crack paint when the nose is hit. I'm not 100% sure on the T/A but most cars have a impact absorbing foam behind the nose and you would see paint issues before you do any permanent damage to the foam or the structure beyond that.
I was quite happy to read your response, thinking I was free and clear, and that maybe the light was out before-hand.

But this afternoon I pulled out of the garage, and in direct sunlight, up-close, I can see lots of very fine cracks in the paint. It almost looked like dirt, or dust, or swirls, or something of that sort. But I can see then right around the outer upper side of the driving light, and also on the flat above that.

Does that change anything?

What is involved in getting the nose/bumper cover off?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If everything is aligned I doubt you have any damage to structure under the bumper cover but it doesn't seem to be that hard to remove https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...r-removal.html
Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, the other day, I went to get something out of the passenger side. Heard creaking. Wondered if it was disuse, or cold, or a combination. Stopped to check gaps. It was at night in my garage under the flourescents, but everything looked ok, and the door/fender gap felt uniform with my finger. Tried again, slowly, heard a pop and saw the fender move. Seems the top by the windshield is pushed down from the plane of the door, ever so slightly. But I can't see deformations anywhere (only feel that one with my hand).

I figure I have to take the bumper cover and fender off. What am I looking for? Just bent brackets? Is this something that can be fixed at home? It sounds like getting the panels off with home tools won't be that bad (fortunately, neither the fender nor cover are damaged/broken, only some barely noticable paint shattering/spidering at point of impact on the cover, but paintwork can, and will have to, come another time. I'm just worried about getting the body panels re-aligned to proper factory spec, so it's like nothing ever happened.)

Quick Reply: Deer...hidden damage?