Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hood fitment issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood fitment issues.

So i bought a used hood this weekend and mounted it.

At first i could not close it at all so ivd been adjusting the latch position and have got it to latch.

Ive now noticed that the hood is just under an inch higher than my fenders.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails hood fitment issues.-forumrunner_20150114_215435.png   hood fitment issues.-forumrunner_20150114_215453.png  
Old 01-15-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did the stock hood fit fine? if it did I would say the hood is contoured wrong. Hood fiberglass? No real way to adjust height of hood at hinges to lower it down.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Stock hood fit fine.

Think i could lose the hinges struts and latch and pin it on?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

then the hood just not made rite. putting hood pins on a street car works but be a pain in but to remove/install all the time. I would find another hood, sell that one to drag racer.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Thnx for the help. I think ill pop in some pins for now just for ***** and gigs. If i get tired of it i still have the OEM hood i can put back on.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 76larkman
then the hood just not made rite......
Just going to throw this out there, even factory hoods can do this. I purchased an original WS6 hood and noticed that the hood sat up a bit (not quite as high as yours, but definitely higher than normal) and after a day of working it, I ended up notching the bolt holes in the factory bracket that bolts to the hood so I could move the bracket up and down to adjust the height. There was probably a way to do that adjustment without having to notch anything since the factory would do the adjustments and every car is different, but after an afternoon of frustration I went ahead and did my own fix, haha!

I took the bolts / nuts out that are circled in red and then took the bracket outlined in green and made an upward slot in the holes where the bolts that I just took out went through. Put the nuts / bolts back in, tighten them slightly so you are able to open and close the hood without them sliding around, but loose enough so you can push / pull the hood and it will move for you. Then just close your hood, adjust the height, open hood, tighten nuts, close hood and make sure they didn't move and you should be good to go.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, if you open your doors you should see a bolt that attaches a bracket on the body to the upper section of your fender. You can loosen that bolt and then push the fenders up a bit to make them align better with the hood. I had to do that on my 99 Z28 when I put a factory SS hood on that one.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Not a bad idea. Ill look into trying that before the hood pins. Thnx.

Quick Reply: hood fitment issues.