Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repainting, need to pick a color

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015 | 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Default Repainting, need to pick a color

You can see my car in my Sig, NBM Formula. In a few months I'm getting it repainted. My Best friend is a body shop manager at a professional body shop, and I'm an electrician. Over the last few years I've done electrical work free of charge for the shop and on my buddies house building up a "credit" and now it's my time to cash in. He has some minor body work to do on dents and scratches that have accumulated over the 8 years I've owned the car. Then he is going to spray the whole car. I talked to him about changing colors and although he was not very thrilled about the idea, he said we could make it work. White, SOM would be my top picks but he vetoed those. He says we need to stick with something that is at least "close" to the factory color so it won't look like **** compared to the parts on the car that will not be painted.

So I'm looking for ideas for a beautiful dark blue color. It can be either a factory car/truck color (any year, any make) or changing up the factory NBM with Metallic or Pearl additives. Just looking for ideas.
Old 01-27-2015 | 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
You can see my car in my Sig, NBM Formula. In a few months I'm getting it repainted. My Best friend is a body shop manager at a professional body shop, and I'm an electrician. Over the last few years I've done electrical work free of charge for the shop and on my buddies house building up a "credit" and now it's my time to cash in. He has some minor body work to do on dents and scratches that have accumulated over the 8 years I've owned the car. Then he is going to spray the whole car. I talked to him about changing colors and although he was not very thrilled about the idea, he said we could make it work. White, SOM would be my top picks but he vetoed those. He says we need to stick with something that is at least "close" to the factory color so it won't look like **** compared to the parts on the car that will not be painted.

So I'm looking for ideas for a beautiful dark blue color. It can be either a factory car/truck color (any year, any make) or changing up the factory NBM with Metallic or Pearl additives. Just looking for ideas.
Are the engine bay and door jambs being repainted too?
Old 01-27-2015 | 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Door jambs, probably. Engine bay no. But I can always paint it black or to same color in the future when the motor is out. I really don't want to go through all the trouble of repainting the entire car only to still look exactly the same. I like the idea of it being just enough different that I will have the only Firebird in that color.

This is why I am thinking about just modifying the original color (add a little extra this, or subtract a little of that) or sticking with a different factory color that is something similar. As in I'm not going to be able to paint it bright viper blue, or red for that matter. Right now I'm leaning towards adding a violet pearl to the standard NBM mixture. So it would be the factory color but with a little bit of color shift in the sunlight or under parking lot light poles. I have also stumbled on to Ford Deep Impact Blue. Beautiful color.
Old 01-29-2015 | 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Black with a blue pearl clear....ie midnight blue.
Old 01-30-2015 | 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love SOM and I love SGM. I repainted my car a different color last year in my garage...I wish I would've left it NBM.
Old 01-31-2015 | 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LetsRide
I love SOM and I love SGM. I repainted my car a different color last year in my garage...I wish I would've left it NBM.
Because you miss the NBM color or because quality of the paint job?

I've seen a few professional pics of low mile garaged NBM cars lately and I'm thinking I might be happy with the factory color when it's back to looking showroom condition again. Or most likely with some color/clear wet sanding and a professional polish afterwards it will look better than new car paint. Somewhere between showroom and show car quality depending on how much of my own elbow grease I have time to put into it. He has painted everything from brand new Fords and Lincoln's on the day to day to having done a few $40-70k collector cars. It is going to look great regardless of color, definitely no "back garage" paint job.

I'm going down to his shop on Tuesday to replace my window motor and I'm going to get a breakdown of the mix for NBM and maybe have him spray out a few test sample cards of slightly modified colors.
Old 01-31-2015 | 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

ive never seen a brown TA lol
Old 01-31-2015 | 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

He probably doesn't want you to change colors because he doesn't want to do the jambs and engine bay, inside of doors, hood and hatch. It becomes a much bigger project.

That being said, if thats the case, I would just keep it a the stock color and freshen in up.
Old 01-31-2015 | 09:03 AM
Launching!

I like the idea of black with a blue or purple pearl on top. Although I've always loved NBM and don't know if I could change it. One of the subtle but still eye catching factory colors.
Old 02-01-2015 | 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
Because you miss the NBM color or because quality of the paint job?

I've seen a few professional pics of low mile garaged NBM cars lately and I'm thinking I might be happy with the factory color when it's back to looking showroom condition again. Or most likely with some color/clear wet sanding and a professional polish afterwards it will look better than new car paint. Somewhere between showroom and show car quality depending on how much of my own elbow grease I have time to put into it. He has painted everything from brand new Fords and Lincoln's on the day to day to having done a few $40-70k collector cars. It is going to look great regardless of color, definitely no "back garage" paint job.

I'm going down to his shop on Tuesday to replace my window motor and I'm going to get a breakdown of the mix for NBM and maybe have him spray out a few test sample cards of slightly modified colors.
Because I miss the color. I picked and painted myself I used quality products.
Old 02-07-2015 | 10:06 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

I don't think its right you "built up credit" for a trade and he's being picky on his end of the deal.
Old 02-10-2015 | 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

I'd paint it the same color NBM looks really nice when the car is modded nicely appearance wise. I was thinking about changing my cars color but it does become a bigger and more expensive job. I don't regret painting it the same color at all

Quick Reply: Repainting, need to pick a color