Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

scratches and what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratches and what to do?

Well i come home to see somthing has fallen and scratched my car bad. Im very very picky about my cars and this has set me off. Its mostly on my front bumper however i had some scratches already on my hood so id like to kill two birds with one stone and paint the hood and bumper. Ive called a paint shop was told about 450 which im ok with however he said since this is a red car the paint may have faded some and for it to be a perfect match is impossible so he said he would blend it into the fenders
Now i want this to be as perfect as possible repairing these. They are too deep for a wetsand or buffing and i dont think touch up will be good enough to me. I want an undectable fix. What are my options or should i just now repaint the whole car. Also anybody know a place in tampa fl area thats really good. I want paint that was good as the oem paint
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want an undetectable fix, repainting the panels with them blending into the factory ones is pretty much it. I had the quarter panel crunched in on my old 97 Trans Am and the place that repaired it blended it in to my doors and rear bumper. It looked perfect.

Before:

After:

You couldn't even tell, it looked factory fresh. Keep in mind that the color they repaired was Mystic Teal and it still changed colors in unison like the factory paint did on the untouched panels. With a regular old red paint color, you should be fine.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
If you want an undetectable fix, repainting the panels with them blending into the factory ones is pretty much it. I had the quarter panel crunched in on my old 97 Trans Am and the place that repaired it blended it in to my doors and rear bumper. It looked perfect.

Before:

After:

You couldn't even tell, it looked factory fresh. Keep in mind that the color they repaired was Mystic Teal and it still changed colors in unison like the factory paint did on the untouched panels. With a regular old red paint color, you should be fine.
Wow that color was nice man. So im not to familier with blending it but that looks good. Maybe thats what ill do. When they blend it wouldent to say the fenders wouldent it look alittle different from the doors? Im looking to do it at a very high end shop if i can find one so maybe they would be able to figure it out. I just want it to be a perfect as possible. Good thing this isnt one of those 5k mile virgins or id be sick right now lol
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by allmotor1
.....When they blend it wouldent to say the fenders wouldent it look alittle different from the doors?
No, once the paint is properly blended you won't see where the new paint stops and the old paint begins. It's seamless, hence the term "blending". Trust me, any competent shop can properly blend your repainted panels in to your existing ones without you ever being able to tell. It's an old trick and is a pretty basic technique for any body guy.

Originally Posted by allmotor1
.....Im looking to do it at a very high end shop if i can find one so maybe they would be able to figure it out. I just want it to be a perfect as possible.
If you're going to a high end shop, they should be able to get it done perfectly for you. Most reputable shops have albums that showcase their work and may have pictures of similar type repairs that they have done on other cars. Sometimes you can get lucky and they will be repairing a car at that time and can show you out in the shop in person. When you go to the shop, just ask. Most will be accommodating and walk you through the process.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
No, once the paint is properly blended you won't see where the new paint stops and the old paint begins. It's seamless, hence the term "blending". Trust me, any competent shop can properly blend your repainted panels in to your existing ones without you ever being able to tell. It's an old trick and is a pretty basic technique for any body guy.

If you're going to a high end shop, they should be able to get it done perfectly for you. Most reputable shops have albums that showcase their work and may have pictures of similar type repairs that they have done on other cars. Sometimes you can get lucky and they will be repairing a car at that time and can show you out in the shop in person. When you go to the shop, just ask. Most will be accommodating and walk you through the process.
thanks for the help. i guess blending it is then! Does anyone have a very reputable shop they know of in the tampa bay area?

Quick Reply: scratches and what to do?