Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ideas for custom bumper vents.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default Ideas for custom bumper vents.

There is a pic attatched of the bumper below, I have been trying to come up with some vents to put in it so it looks more finished my initial design was some heat shaped ABS, that was not a true vent as was more like a shield behind the bumper and it looked unfinished/ crummy next to the bumper and the area draws attention when you see the car so imperfections stand out.

So I am looking for idea's on a way to create something for it. I had thought about looking for a large diameter silicone coupler with a step down, but im afraid that over time it might stress the body work.

I know I could build a form out of MDF and get a sheet of ABS and thermal form it as long as I dont go to deep, I could also do the same with fiberglasss as well.

I was trying to decide if i should have a vent that comes into the the whole to make it look more factory or just have it slip over the backside of the bumper and step down from there and have a ring on the backside that I could attach small duct work too and vent the brakes.

Kind of brainstorming and looking for ideas if anyone has them chime in!
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for custom bumper vents.-img_20141212_160730187_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to make like some honeycomb mesh to match the hood inlets, this will help hide what ever you put behind it.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah I should have included that I really dont want to have mesh in there, any of that stuff just screams honda with a body kit to me, and if the body shop had painted the inside of the vents completely I would have left them off too.

the major issue that you dont see in the pics is that on the driver side I have relocated the fuse boxes which put them right in the opening of the vent if you are looking hard enough, they blend in if you dont know what you are looking at but on here most would know ecactly what it is
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
yeah I should have included that I really dont want to have mesh in there, any of that stuff just screams honda with a body kit to me, and if the body shop had painted the inside of the vents completely I would have left them off too.

the major issue that you dont see in the pics is that on the driver side I have relocated the fuse boxes which put them right in the opening of the vent if you are looking hard enough, they blend in if you dont know what you are looking at but on here most would know ecactly what it is
well it's not like I was suggesting it be stainless or chrome, I was talking a mesh that matched the flat BLACK honeycomb already in the hood nostrils if it was sunken back (like behind the light strip) it wouldn't jump out like a honda with a body kit and it would look like it belonged because it was honeycomb.

like this kinda http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_20080605.jpg
Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I know what you were suggesting and I appreciate it, sorry if offended but i dislike the mesh honeycomb stuff I had something more like an open vent that was a flat black insert through the front or that slipped over the back and still left the hole open but his everything behind. Its not tied to the induction system so it won't hurt anything to leave it open
Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can make custom formed air duct pieces using fiberglass and the "lost foam" fiberglass fabrication method. Possibly easier than fabricating a form out of MDF. https://www.google.com/search?q=lost...oam+fiberglass
Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks Zex i had forgot about usng the insulation foam board.

I was thinking about using styrene to build a shell than use great stuff foam to make the negative to fiberglass over, but the foam board would be much quicker!!

Quick Reply: Ideas for custom bumper vents.