Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hail damage on ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hail damage on ram air hood

Hail storm happened here recently. I now have two pretty big vertical ish dents and a good bit of regular quarter sized dents in my hood, which I believe is fiberglass.

I know paintless dent removal won't work on fiberglass, what are my options that won't kill my budget. Body shop to fiberglass over and paint?

Used hood and paint match?

I don't have full coverage so insurance won't cover it
Old 04-21-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics? What color car? Original paint? You may can get lucky and find one same color and sell the one you have but body shop may be your best bet.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I've never seen hail dent fiberglass. The only damage I ever see is rock chips and they chip/crack/bullseye the paint not the fiberglass.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

never seen fiberglass get dented, now fiberglass can be softened by applying focused heat, at least that was my experience back in my import days when I left a halogen shop light turned on pointed at the car and noticed a section of a fiberglass fender drooping, but that stuff was lower quality then what you see on hoods, plus no reinforcement like hoods. maybe something like that could be attempted, but I don't see how hail could dent fiberglass, because that goes completely against the properties of the material.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Had a body guy look at it. He said he could fix the cracks on the surface, fix the rock chips and respray the entire hood to match for $580. Decent price?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
Had a body guy look at it. He said he could fix the cracks on the surface, fix the rock chips and respray the entire hood to match for $580. Decent price?

the hood is made from SMC (basically fiberglass). that price sounds on the cheap side. does he guarantee his work?
Old 04-25-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
the hood is made from SMC (basically fiberglass). that price sounds on the cheap side. does he guarantee his work?
I was thinking the that price is about what I found, I just had an AMD cowl hood prepped and painted and it only cost me $350 and it's Victory Red$$$. That's three coats of base and four coats of clear. I was quoted $500 at two other shops and as low as $200 at another but they didn't have a dedicated paint booth lol.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Launching!

He does. Its a local guy with 25 years exp that works out of his house after he got laid off by a paint shop, kind of like a mobile detailer. He guarantees his work minus rock chips and the paint.

Quick Reply: hail damage on ram air hood