Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fix Engine Bay Paint with Hobby Airbrush?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015 | 09:01 AM
Launching!

Default Fix Engine Bay Paint with Hobby Airbrush?

I recently did the wire hide mod on my TA and of course, the marks and defects left behind in my engine bay are horrific, and I need to repaint. It's my daily and I don't have the option of taking everything out to get it professionally repainted, so I had this possibly crazy idea.

I'm pretty good with my hobby airbrush and getting in all the hard to reach spaces without removing parts wouldn't be very difficult for me, but is it possible to use real car paint with a hobby air brush? I'm not sure what kind of thinner you might use with automotive paint, and I'm worried it might still be too thick. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 08-07-2015 | 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just follow the mixing instructions on the paint. The paint retailer you buy it from will provide the mix ratios, just buy a couple mixing cups. I think you'd be fine with a airbrush, especially for touch ups. A lot of the independent paint repair guys I've used over the years at the dealership use a airbrush for small spot repairs.
Old 08-07-2015 | 09:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HISS
Just follow the mixing instructions on the paint. The paint retailer you buy it from will provide the mix ratios, just buy a couple mixing cups. I think you'd be fine with a airbrush, especially for touch ups. A lot of the independent paint repair guys I've used over the years at the dealership use a airbrush for small spot repairs.
Oh good, not that crazy afterall then. I've got plenty of paint mixing jars/pans and stuff, I'm about to order my paint online, it's a CETA so I need the sunfire yellow, from what I've read. Any idea if the mixing ratio and necessary thinning solution will be listed on the jar?

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 08-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2015 | 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Touch up paint will work fine too, just thin it and spray it.
Old 08-20-2015 | 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Oh good, not that crazy afterall then. I've got plenty of paint mixing jars/pans and stuff, I'm about to order my paint online, it's a CETA so I need the sunfire yellow, from what I've read. Any idea if the mixing ratio and necessary thinning solution will be listed on the jar?
If not you should be able to look it up. Usually when I buy automotive paint I use a retailer. That way they can look up and provide mixing ratios on the spot.
Old 08-26-2015 | 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Default Fix Engine Bay Paint with Hobby Airbrush?

How ever you do it there is nothing like a clean engine bay. Here is one I did. It was a shoe car that always has its hood down Untill
http://s21.postimg.org/clyv5czev/image.jpg

Quick Reply: Fix Engine Bay Paint with Hobby Airbrush?